• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to setup a search engine?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
    itsn't c++ good on memory and speed which is vital for a good search engine?
    what does google use?
    What you really need to do is print out every page on the internet and then hire 54 million Indians to add each of those pages to your access database.

Simples!

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      I assumed ( you did not provide the context ) that you wanted a crawler for a particular website. If you want page rank etc ( its redundant anyway, google do not use page rank) you might have to write your own algorithm.

So how many websites are you planning to crawl and what is the end point of what you are trying to achieve ?
      correction mate page rank was invented by google, and is what makes their search rankings
      better.

I'm looking for a niche area to start of with once I made a few million to
      fund enough hard disks and servers then I intent to take on the big boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        What you really need to do is print out every page on the internet and then hire 54 million Indians to add each of those pages to your access database.

Simples!
        I like it.

Also, when you've got the internet printed out, you could bind it and sell it as a book.
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

correction mate page rank was invented by google, and is what makes their search rankings
          better.

I know pagerank and who invented it, I am saying pagerank is no longer used by the Google algorithm to sort their search results.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

better.

I know pagerank and who invented it, I am saying pagerank is no longer used by the Google algorithm to sort their search results.
            Fight!

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

better.

I do niche search engines.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

it's still used, they just want people to think it's not so there search results
                remain relevant.

http://www.google.com/press/funfacts.html
                Last edited by Bright Spark; 5 February 2010, 11:14.

Comment

itsn't c++ good on memory and speed which is vital for a good search engine?
                  what does google use?
                  Like all languages, it's as good as the person writing the code.

You will see higher programmer productivity with C# or Java. Because they spend less time fixing silly bugs they can spend more time implementing and fine tuning the algorithm.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                    I like it.

Also, when you've got the internet printed out, you could bind it and sell it as a book.
                    good thinking batman! just think of all the royalites and commission you could make.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                      I like it.

my mum would love that, then she could understand what the Interweb thingy is all about
                      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                      X