• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Have you got anything else going on.."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
    They ask this so as not to send your CV to the same place, its very unprofessional when this happens and can lead to the client completely dropping you.
    I know that's what they claim, but if so they're doing it wrong.

If they assume that any other agents will have told you the name of the end client, all they have to say is "The client is HyperGlobalMegaCorp's frobnosticator division, has anybody else put you forward?"

By using the vague "Anything else..." question they hope to get information about possible leads from you. Also, they can then easily disguise the fact that the gig they advertised doesn't actually exist by picking any one of the gigs you tell them about and claiming that this is the same client.

If they won't tell you up front who the client is yet want chapter and verse from you, they aren't trying to avoid duplicate CV submissions, they're fishing pure and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      Too right

I always give agents all details including company names and the names of interviewers just to make sure

And you make sure that you have already given two references as well.

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I know that's what they claim, but if so they're doing it wrong.

If they assume that any other agents will have told you the name of the end client, all they have to say is "The client is HyperGlobalMegaCorp's frobnosticator division, has anybody else put you forward?"

By using the vague "Anything else..." question they hope to get information about possible leads from you.
        I have actually had an agent ask me what the other client was ("to make sure it's not the same one"), but refuse to tell me the name of her client.
        Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
          They ask this so as not to send your CV to the same place, its very unprofessional when this happens and can lead to the client completely dropping you.
          If the gig is real they will be telling you the clients name first.

At which point you will be saying "oh, maybe I did send my CV there recently after all thanks anyway"

Comment

Working...
          X