• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The whole 'not giving a stuff' thing...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded View Post
    They want you there because they don't have a clue about the technical stuff, they're all politicians you see.

Enjoy it, it's your time to shine.
    WHS.

Trust me, as a PM who often has no idea about techie things (not saying all are like that, I just know my weaknesses), if I was going into a meeting with the MD I would probably want you there as the person who knows what they are talking about.

Comment

RH, I think that you might be getting a bit hung up on this age thing, you know.

Forget age - you are in that contract and have been seconded into this position on merit.

Start from that basis.

Now, go back to the Programme Manager and ask the question "Why do you want me to be there?" To inform? To advise? To recommend? With his answer, prepare.

Prepare.

Preparation Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance.

What you are going to say, why you are going to say it,when you are going to say it.

Write it on index notes to start with.

Then rehearse - say what you're going to say out loud. More than once. Then visualise yourself saying it in the meeting.

You're getting yourself into a bit of a panic -no-one else is.

Calm down, relax and prepare - you're good enough.

And the last bit of advise when you're actually in the meeting.

Remember - Keep Breathing.

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Remember - Have a pot noodle before you go in.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
          Any tips to stay calm and rock-steady?
          Yes. Never start on an empty stomach. Preferably a steaming plate of hot food will give you blood other priorities. i.e. your stomach.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

After reading the 'What's a senior position?' and the 'PM/Boss' threads... I'd like to hear the congregation's thoughts on the following:

I've been called into a long meeting with the MD.
            The Programme Architect, Programme Manager, Sponsor, Lead BA and Project Manager will also be there. The MD wants to know who he's got delivering his project, and we've been asked to prepare a short bio illustrating our outstanding contributions to clientcos great and good.

I thrice questioned the wisdom of the Programme Manager in wanting me in this meeting, 'are you sure you need me in on this?' etc. I'm starting to feel nervous about completely cocking up/tripping over my own words or just clamming up. My role is unofficially UX lead, as I'm 'on loan' from another part of the business... but there can't be any buck-passing in this meeting - the sponsor wants us to present a cohesive team spirit. There's no way I can answer any business Qs, but am quite happy to talk around my core SME.

Thing is - and those of you who know me will know this - I'm still very much a kid in comparison to these guys... In terms of gravitas, brevity and the like. They're all at least 10 years my senior. That hasn't been a problem on the project as we all work well together... but facing off the M-bleedin-D? I've only been in this sector for 5 years, and most of it working on sector-agnostic principles.

It's a hard thing to admit to on the open forum, but I'm ever so slightly intimidated, and would appreciate the benefit of coping strategies & your experience in similar situations.

I await the flaming with (hopefully) some comforting and helpful insight.
            Wrong, all wrong...you need to go in there with 3 Powerpoint slides that prove how your strategy will turn the project around and save the MDs bacon. Essentially you need to take proactive lead of the meeting.

Finally, casually mention that the turn around will take you past your contract end point and say that you can only commit to saving the MDs bonus if they can commit to extending your contract for another 12 months.

PZZ

Comment

Scenario: My mind goes completely blank with nerves and I stumble/gibber.
              Likelihood: Fair.
              Buck stops: With some momentum, squarely in my face.

Scenario: My bio looks hopelessly thin when compared to these heavyweights.
              Likelihood: Certain.
              Buck stops: Erm? With the business, for wanting me in the meeting/hiring me? Still doesn't make me feel any better about it.

Scenario: I break the political 'rules' that have been laid down ahead of the meeting and speak out of turn, unknowingly or naively. Or speak too technically.
              Likelihood: Well I'll try my best, but tulip happens.
              Buck stops: From above, at terminal velocity.

I had a word with a mate who's v senior in a similar sector - and he made me even more nervous. Seems this guy has a reputation that precedes him. Ivy League big board Septic who likes to direct, not lead, by all accounts.
              If you don't mind me saying RH, that all sounds too bizarre.

Just look attentive, only speak when you are spoken to, and keep it brief.

But in an emergency a large fart usually breaks the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Dr Bach's Rescue remedy.
                Does that stuff actually work?

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Yes. Never start on an empty stomach.
                It's a 2.5hr lunch meeting. I may well eat a bit beforehand as there's some sense there.

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
                Wrong, all wrong...

Nutter.

Genuinely appreciate the responses. Particularly the PM POVs amongst you. Just natural jitters I expect. Even the hardiest amongst us would feel some of that. Even those that say they don't. I understand the mindset though.

And I wonder if the 'office space' legend is really true.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  You haven't met me yet, have you?
                  If you do, you'll understand.
                  What makes me creative, is the rampaging lunacy beneath a thin veneer of respectability.
                  If I can keep a lid on it, I'll be fine.

Comment

After reading the 'What's a senior position?' and the 'PM/Boss' threads... I'd like to hear the congregation's thoughts on the following:

I've been called into a long meeting with the MD.
                    The Programme Architect, Programme Manager, Sponsor, Lead BA and Project Manager will also be there. The MD wants to know who he's got delivering his project, and we've been asked to prepare a short bio illustrating our outstanding contributions to clientcos great and good.

I thrice questioned the wisdom of the Programme Manager in wanting me in this meeting, 'are you sure you need me in on this?' etc. I'm starting to feel nervous about completely cocking up/tripping over my own words or just clamming up. My role is unofficially UX lead, as I'm 'on loan' from another part of the business... but there can't be any buck-passing in this meeting - the sponsor wants us to present a cohesive team spirit. There's no way I can answer any business Qs, but am quite happy to talk around my core SME.

Thing is - and those of you who know me will know this - I'm still very much a kid in comparison to these guys... In terms of gravitas, brevity and the like. They're all at least 10 years my senior. That hasn't been a problem on the project as we all work well together... but facing off the M-bleedin-D? I've only been in this sector for 5 years, and most of it working on sector-agnostic principles.

It's a hard thing to admit to on the open forum, but I'm ever so slightly intimidated, and would appreciate the benefit of coping strategies & your experience in similar situations.

I await the flaming with (hopefully) some comforting and helpful insight.
                    I am surprised. That doesn't sound like the RH I have met on more than one occasion.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Just look attentive, only speak when you are spoken to, and keep it brief.

But in an emergency a large fart usually breaks the ice.
                    WHS (apart from the farting).

Comment

Thing is - and those of you who know me will know this - I'm still very much a kid in comparison to these guys...
                      Middle-aged and in denial more like.

Comment

Working...
                      X