• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 7 free 120 day Trail download

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cybersquatter View Post
    Where does one purchase such a beast?
    I actually bought mine in a 2nd hand shop, brand new in the box, never been unwrapped. I noticed it in the window as I was passing and made an impulse purchase. glad I did too. It's a lot faster than I thought it was going to be, and I've really loaded it down with software.
    Graphics are good on it as well, fast and smooth.

Online the cheapest I could find was £197.00.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elonex-Websu...ref=pd_cp_ce_1

Probably some out there cheaper but as I'd already bought it I couldn't be bothered to look

HTH
    Last edited by Diver; 30 January 2010, 08:36.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Also recommend one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

Great keyboard, all day battery life and Windows 7 pre-installed.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        It's only free if you don't value your time reinstalling it...

It's only not free if you can't be arsed reinstalling it each time the trial ends.

BTW there's a 'rearm' techique to extend the evaluation period up to 240 days iirc (google it). So you only have to reinstall every 8 months, which isn't necessarily a bad thing with Windows and how it degrades over time.

Was intending doing that on my laptop with W2008 (optimised for workstation use) before W7 came out, but I like W7 so have stuck with that and even stumped up 40 odd quid it cost on pre-release discount.

W7 pisses all over Vista and makes XP look as dated as a 70s suit.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          W7 pisses all over Vista and makes XP look as dated as a 70s suit.
          I use Windows XP Pro personally and always put it into Windows 2000 Classic Theme mode

Comment

I use Windows XP Pro personally and always put it into Windows 2000 Classic Theme mode
            So you prefer the gray over the red? Bloody immigrants!

I did laugh when I saw on W2008 that there's an option to change the desktop experience to resemble Vista (with Aero etc). At the time there was no concept of it being in any way efficient (no sign of the Vista service pack known as W7) so thought which mug would choose to do that downgrade.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              So you prefer the gray over the red?
              Eh?

I prefer default Windows 2000 theme, pretty much Windows 95 - after that Microsoft's design went downhill and then some...

I am forced to use Windows 7 Pro on new SKA servers though

Comment

Eh?

Don't worry, you'll get it one day.

<hidden from AtW>W2k Classic is somewhat gray, as are some variety of squirrel.</hidden from AtW>
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Am I the only one that prefers Vista to Windows 7??

My latest HP laptop came with W7 64bit pre installed and I reformatted the drive and put Vista on as I get on with that much better.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
                    Am I the only one that prefers Vista to Windows 7??

My latest HP laptop came with W7 64bit pre installed and I reformatted the drive and put Vista on as I get on with that much better.

PZZ

Not sure if it was the 64 bit side of things tripping up your experience of W7 (only had a brief fling with 64 bit and decided it's not for me, too much hassle with drivers etc), but from using both Vista and then W7 on my main PC I see W7 as just Vista with a lot of the niggles and performance issues fixed.

Can't think of a single thing in Vista that's not in W7 and makes Vista better for it.
                    Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                    X