• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Windows 7 free 120 day Trail download"

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    Am I the only one that prefers Vista to Windows 7??

My latest HP laptop came with W7 64bit pre installed and I reformatted the drive and put Vista on as I get on with that much better.

PZZ

Not sure if it was the 64 bit side of things tripping up your experience of W7 (only had a brief fling with 64 bit and decided it's not for me, too much hassle with drivers etc), but from using both Vista and then W7 on my main PC I see W7 as just Vista with a lot of the niggles and performance issues fixed.

Can't think of a single thing in Vista that's not in W7 and makes Vista better for it.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Am I the only one that prefers Vista to Windows 7??

My latest HP laptop came with W7 64bit pre installed and I reformatted the drive and put Vista on as I get on with that much better.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Eh?

Don't worry, you'll get it one day.

<hidden from AtW>W2k Classic is somewhat gray, as are some variety of squirrel.</hidden from AtW>

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    So you prefer the gray over the red?
    Eh?

I prefer default Windows 2000 theme, pretty much Windows 95 - after that Microsoft's design went downhill and then some...

I am forced to use Windows 7 Pro on new SKA servers though

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    I use Windows XP Pro personally and always put it into Windows 2000 Classic Theme mode
    So you prefer the gray over the red? Bloody immigrants!

I did laugh when I saw on W2008 that there's an option to change the desktop experience to resemble Vista (with Aero etc). At the time there was no concept of it being in any way efficient (no sign of the Vista service pack known as W7) so thought which mug would choose to do that downgrade.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    W7 pisses all over Vista and makes XP look as dated as a 70s suit.
    I use Windows XP Pro personally and always put it into Windows 2000 Classic Theme mode

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    It's only free if you don't value your time reinstalling it...

It's only not free if you can't be arsed reinstalling it each time the trial ends.

BTW there's a 'rearm' techique to extend the evaluation period up to 240 days iirc (google it). So you only have to reinstall every 8 months, which isn't necessarily a bad thing with Windows and how it degrades over time.

Was intending doing that on my laptop with W2008 (optimised for workstation use) before W7 came out, but I like W7 so have stuck with that and even stumped up 40 odd quid it cost on pre-release discount.

W7 pisses all over Vista and makes XP look as dated as a 70s suit.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Also recommend one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

Great keyboard, all day battery life and Windows 7 pre-installed.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by cybersquatter View Post
    Where does one purchase such a beast?
    I actually bought mine in a 2nd hand shop, brand new in the box, never been unwrapped. I noticed it in the window as I was passing and made an impulse purchase. glad I did too. It's a lot faster than I thought it was going to be, and I've really loaded it down with software.
    Graphics are good on it as well, fast and smooth.

Online the cheapest I could find was £197.00.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elonex-Websu...ref=pd_cp_ce_1

Probably some out there cheaper but as I'd already bought it I couldn't be bothered to look

HTH
    Last edited by Diver; 30 January 2010, 08:36.

Leave a comment:

• cybersquatter
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    I personally couldn't be bothered

Just spent £99 on a Notebook

• VIA C7-M
    • 1.2GHz,
    • 1GB DDR2
    • 533MHz,
    • 30GB HDD,
    • Windows XP Home

Product Description
    • 7 Inch Widescreen LCD Display
    • Genuine Windows XP
    • 30gb Hard Drive, 1gb 533mhz RAM
    • Via 1.2ghz CPU, Built in Webcam
    • 4 in 1 Card Reader, 5 hour Battery Life
    • Integrated WIFI and 3G compatible
    • High Definition Audio
    • Integrated UniChrome Pro II Graphics
    • High Performance 3D Accelerator
    • Weight just 970g

Well impressed with it for that price. Just watched a HD film on it, and the graphics card works fine.
    Where does one purchase such a beast?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    What would you rather be humping around. Your suitcase and a heavy laptop bag with the Acer in, or your suitcase and just the netbook in your pocket?
    My Rolls Royce driven by my butler.

HTH

threaded

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I've got one of those

It's pretty good - nice battery life and beats netbooks...
    At 5 pm yesterday I was in Aberdeen after spending 8 hours at a conference.. at 7pm in Gatwick, at 8pm I was in Brighton, at just after 10:30pm I was in Wales.

What would you rather be humping around. Your suitcase and a heavy laptop bag with the Acer in, or your suitcase and just the netbook in your pocket?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    And I don't have to lug that bleedin hulking great Acer aspire around with me all the time.
    I've got one of those

It's pretty good - nice battery life and beats netbooks...

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied

Remember Cyrix?

VIA is like that, allegedly!
    It's £99 and it fits in my coat pocket. I can watch movies on it and do paperwork, spreadsheets and database management while I'm on trips away.
    And I don't have to lug that bleedin hulking great Acer aspire around with me all the time.

For £99 I just throw it away when it breaks

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    • VIA C7-M

Remember Cyrix?

VIA is like that, allegedly!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X