• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Math's Puzzle : Odds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    So that's,

10 x 6.965 = 69.65, turn the . in to a , then add 66 zeroes to the end, right ?

I hated maths at school. Literature was my thing, sorry.
    Well in Literature terms, it's up there with the chances of an infinite number of monkeys producing the combined works of William Shakespeare.

Once thought to be 'of course they could', but now with the invention of the internet known to be vanishingly small.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      erm from what I think I've found out

1 and then 66 zero's

1 billion is 1 then 9 zero's

so it would be 10 <seven billions> or there abouts
      i.e
      around 10 billion billion billion billion billion billion billion to 1
      or
      10 trillion trillion trillion trillion to 1 chance

correct?
      Looks good enough to me. Thank you Chef.

I think we've entered the zone where is so many trillions, it doesn't really matter to be honest.

What's a few trillions between friends eh ?
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        Well in Literature terms, it's up there with the chances of an infinite number of monkeys producing the combined works of William Shakespeare.
        Yes, but can you even begin to imagine the smell ?

And the noise, dear God, the noise !!!!

And where the hell do you get a warehouse big enough for this enterprise ?

Plus the crippling costs in bananas, furniture, paper, typing equipment, ink.

I don't think that idea's going to pass Dragon's Den somehow.

And for that reason, I'm out.
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Can anyone suggest how to put those odds in to perspective for the layperson to understand ?
          For the "average" Layperson.... "It ain't gonna happen"

Hows that?

Comment

Put it this way, the number of atoms in the universe is thought to be between 4x10^79 and 10^81, so 6x10^66 is getting towards that kind of scale.

Comment

Thank you Threaded !

I best get Excel fired up and write a formula.

I'll probably do it like this.

65/300 = j1
              64/299 = j2
              63/298 = j3
              drag down

total = j1xj2xj3xetc

Cheers !
              no need for that, just =combin(300,65) for the number of combinations or =1/combin(300,65) for the probability.

Comment

....If 300 people were in a masssive room, and only 65 of those people were called "John" :

What would be the odds of me walking in to that room.....
                surely the odds are even greater. don't you have to calculate how many doors there are first?

Comment

If most people knew a little bit about probabilty, Camelot would be bancrupt and Noel's box or no box wouldn't be on
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

If you want a laymans example:

You'd have a better chance of walking out into the sahara desert and finding a specific grain of sand simply by picking one a random.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

and how pissed would you be if after opening all those doors and finally finding a suitable room filled with the right number of people and tapping all those shoulders they all said they were john until the very last one?

Comment

Working...
                      X