• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you tightening your belt?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
    If you can't get a job for a year then either the market is completely flipped or you are not qualified to get the jobs you are applying for.

Either way you need to change career.

Keeping more that a year in low interest accounts is dead money and probably should be avoided in most cases....
    Well at least I know where you're coming from.

I'm taking a year off work through choice not redundancy. That's why I contract, last year I took 5 months off, 2 of them were not planned 3 were.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      I'm saving and saving.

In fact the last extravagant spend was a new central heating system some months ago and I've no intention of increasing my spending until I can afford a good year without pay.
      Me too. After being messed about with renewals I've become increasingly paranoid about being benched again. This year is all about the warchest.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
        If you can't get a job for a year then either the market is completely flipped or you are not qualified to get the jobs you are applying for.
        A year ago I would have said that, it does sound plausible. But I have just had 9 months out. I am well qualified for the jobs I was applying for, but there just weren't many of them. In some cases I know that they went to people whom I know were less well qualified than me. I do not know why this was.

The market in my skills had a bad cold and will never fully recover, but as far as I can see is not totally flipped. Yet.

I suppose my working definition of that is that it is still better than any other career that I could now go in to. So it's not great, and the glory days will never return IMHO, but it's still the first choice.

Comment

Sitting tight in my permie job for the forseeable and plowing cash into the mortgage offset in the meantime.

Have cut back on a lot of unessesery spending over the last 12 months. Bonus is getting paid this year though, so that will be split between savings, holidays and getting a few bits and bobs done around the house.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I've started paying everything with credit cards and not looking at the bills.

But I still have money in ISAs I haven't touched yet,
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I've started paying everything with credit cards and not looking at the bills.

But I still have money in ISAs I haven't touched yet,
              Apply for virgin credit card - 0% for 16 months and do a balance transfer

Comment

We have cut right back, trimmed the standing orders and are being careful on the food shopping. As it stands things will be ok for a good while but I don't like eating into the savings

Comment

If only I had a belt to tighten - I've sold it and am using string.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                    Been there, done that.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                      debt
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X