• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Proving your identity!?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Surely to be entitled to a British Passport you should have some reasonable command of the English language
    British Passport is optional extra to British Citizenship. If someone has already gotten it by being born here or by becoming naturalised citizen then this person is already entitled to British Passport (age limits etc apply).

English per se is not tested at the moment, though in theory it is required to pass the test of Life in Britain something something.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
      I think you can do it in Welsh (probably not in Manchester though).
      He certainly wasn't Welsh.

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      British Passport is optional extra to British Citizenship. If someone has already gotten it by being born here or by becoming naturalised citizen then this person is already entitled to British Passport (age limits etc apply).

English per se is not tested at the moment, though in theory it is required to pass the test of Life in Britain something something.

HTH
      If he was born here he got to 40 odd without learning the language.

I am naturalised here too AtW, HTH.
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

He certainly wasn't Welsh.

If he was born here he got to 40 odd without learning the language.

This is an excellent idea. By requiring a decent standard of English from all passport applicants, maybe we can prevent council estate chavs from terrorizing Europe’s holiday resorts.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          This is an excellent idea. By requiring a decent standard of English from all passport applicants, maybe we can prevent council estate chavs from terrorizing Europe’s holiday resorts.
          Best idea I've heard all afternoon.
          Bazza gets caught

Comment

Best idea I've heard all afternoon.
            It was your idea. I just pointed out a beneficial side effect.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Geordie?
              Erm... not that either.
              Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Must have been a native Cornish speaker then.

Or a Pict.
                Whats a Pict?

Cornish... I know what those people sound like and he wan't one of them either...
                Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  <snip>
                  Get yourself a passport and have a nice holiday...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Whats a Pict?

Cornish... I know what those people sound like and he wan't one of them either...
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picts
                    The Picts were a confederation of tribes living in what was later to become eastern and northern Scotland from before the Roman conquest of Britain until the 10th century. They lived to the north of the Forth and Clyde rivers, and spoke the extinct Pictish language, thought to have been related to the Brythonic languages spoken by the Britons to the south. They are assumed to have been the descendants of the Caledonii and other tribes named by Roman historians or found on the world map of Ptolemy. Pictland, also known as Pictavia, was gradually absorbed by the Gaelic kingdom of Dál Riata to form the Kingdom of Alba (Scotland). Alba expanded, absorbing the Brythonic kingdom of Strathclyde and Bernician Lothian, and by the 11th century the Pictish identity had become completely subsumed under a new term for this amalgamation of peoples: the "Scots".

Comment

Naturally.

For one of my alleged FemBots

Comment

Working...
                      X