• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC used CUK posts in the Judicial Review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    I think the surprise is that anonymous postings by oddly named individuals would be admissible as court evidence. Anyone could pretend to be a contractor and post stuff to undermine the case.
    Yes, it is called hearsay, and it is up to the judge to determine whether it is credible, and of course in no way would a reasonable person consider it credible. Yet that is covered by a caveat: one should always remember the golden rule: the legal system is designed to enrich lawyers. So which bizarre way do you think it'll be taken...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      Yes, it is called hearsay, and it is up to the judge to determine whether it is credible, and of course in no way would a reasonable person consider it credible. Yet that is covered by a caveat: one should always remember the golden rule: the legal system is designed to enrich lawyers. So which bizarre way do you think it'll be taken...
      Even if it is credible it's hardly a representative survey. Cherry picking a few random posts where people said they were aware of the risks, doesn't mean all 2500 people who used the scheme felt the same way.

I believe they were doing it partly to counter the survey we submitted to the Joint Committee on Human Rights, which claimed widespread hardship as a result of BN66.

Comment

A doctor's forum the girly reads is totally blocked until you cough up your GMC registration details, address and current job to be cross checked. There was stuff being discussed that made it to papers and court cases.

Of course now that they know it is secure the stuff they can talk about is hilarious. But that is another story.

Anyway, I think you should have to provide companies house number and a picture of yourself with a Deep Space 9 box set before you can read the accounts & legal forum.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          Even if it is credible it's hardly a representative survey. Cherry picking a few random posts where people said they were aware of the risks, doesn't mean all 2500 people who used the scheme felt the same way.

I believe they were doing it partly to counter the survey we submitted to the Joint Committee on Human Rights, which claimed widespread hardship as a result of BN66.
          Yeah, a standard trick: 'muddying the water'. One would have thought the judge would have spotted that right off and told their barrister to stop it.

But maybe they went to the same Inn, are related, or somat...
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            Does the content of the posts they quoted drive a coach and horses through the survey results?
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by oh all right, I won't say
              Originally posted by cojak View Post
              With any luck they'll notice that a lot of us are not working in contracts at the moment (that's what benched means, guys...)

You're not under the misapprehension that they could give a flying **** about that are you? They would counter that with "That just goes to show how overpaid you are the rest of the time" or some such tripe.

They've got an "us and them" mentality which gives them some sort of self-worth; they certainly wouldn't have any otherwise. What sort of person goes into taxation? I bet its those people who only just scrape through their accounting exams so can't be accountants but have no personality so cannot get a book-keeping job either. Instead, they end up applying for civil service roles out of desperation.

They think Good Works by gathering in the pennies that run the country. Sadly, the difference their effort makes to the annual income of the Treasury is minute; government investments raise more revenue than taxation of people and small businesses.

Tax Inspectors are meant to be the growling guard dogs that make good people behave and bad people think twice about being bad. Unfortunately, we have an incompetent set of management running the country and they are under the false impression that squeezing more blood from the stone will save the economy. So the government has opened the gates and let the guard dogs out to go and bite people on the ass on the premise that everyone is up to something. After all, the MPs are all thieving gits so we must be too, right?

And it is because Tax Inspectors are such washed-up, bitter losers that they think that way too. They are probably the worst offenders for fiddling their expenses and travelling 1st class everywhere at the taxpayer's expense.

But this does not fix the economy.

Instead, all that has been done is a huge amount of wasted money spent in advertising about paying your tax (just how mad is that?) and adding a huge burden of paperwork onto small businesses.

Tax Inspectors are in no way concerned whether you're out of work or not. They have their free index-linked pension and could not give a tulip about anyone else. And if they make a family homeless or kill someone with worry because they intend to go back over seven years to find enough unpaid tax to cover their salary for a few days, they reckon that's a job well done. (Although if they find large amounts of unclaimed expenses or overpaid tax, do you think they will tell you? Of course not: "That's not my job".)

At least a parasite has some pride. Taxation is a parasite. Tax inspectors and collectors are merely in a symbiotic relationship with the parasite: mindlessly and blindly gouging the flesh of the host and leaving it to bleed and cheerfully moving on to the next, thinking 'that was a job well done'.

So don't go appealing to their better nature. If they had one they wouldn't be doing the job they do.

I can see why you deleted that after posting it! Shame I was already replying to it, innit?
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

I can see why you deleted that after posting it! Shame I was already replying to it, innit?
                Ooh you're quick, you are Dickie!

D'ya think he missed the tongue-in-cheek flavour of my post?
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Actually, I accept that I have to pay tax. I don't like it but I accept it.

Because I like to have the NHS and that kind of stuff.

I blame the the Treasury (make that Gordon Brown) who has twisted HMRC into it's own image and poisoned the relationship between the citizen and the mechanisms of government (the Civil Service - both words seemingly out of kilter these days).

This is not a good thing.
                  Last edited by cojak; 25 January 2010, 11:34.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                    Does the content of the posts they quoted drive a coach and horses through the survey results?
                    The survey was over 80 people.

He only read out half a dozen posts. Many were written in broken english, and he didn't read them with any conviction. At one point he even had to explain that they believed the initials MP were short for Montpelier. It was farsical really.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      Actually, I accept that I have to pay tax. I don't like it but I accept it.

Because I like to have Bankers bonus's, MP's second homes, a Royal family... and that kind of stuff.

This is not a good thing.
                      FTFY!

Comment

Working...
                      X