• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Languages and the future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    But it does.

No AtW, they're learning English. Not so many school kids doing German now over here.

A friend of mine, her kids have dropped German, they're keeping English and Chinese.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

On the German course I did half a dozen years ago we spent a much greater percentage of the time talking than in any lesson I recall from my schooldays.
      That's my experience too.

I was really suprised in my French evening class that the teacher spends most of her time speaking French to us, complete with gestures to get the point across, and only uses English where necessary. It wasn't like that at school. For one thing, my French teacher was English.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
        Sorry but...... apparatchik Shirley!

Other than using a nonsense word I generaly agriski
        Also 'bolshy' is from russian word 'bolshoi/bolshaya/bolshoye' - big. ie Bolshoi Ballet.

Also there was a rumour the the name Gromit off 'Wallace and Gromit' used the Russian verb 'to destroy' though Christ knows why.

Of course that word's stem formed the noun 'pogrom' one of Stalin's favourites...

But in the general context of this thread, I think it's always an advantage to know another language reasonably well, I hesitate to use the word fluent, to me that implies almost native, and not many speak like that - just being able to converse in one language helps you understand the way they think.

JM2C

Comment

Learning a foreign language open my eyes to etymology of many words in English.

'Spasser' is a good one. It doesn't derive how you might think.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

last and current empires speak english - that pretty much sums it up why english is most popular. Eventually people will speak one language - the language of earth. It is likely that for historical reasons other major countries won't just drop their language for the sake of ease of communicating internationally. Google or someone will make everything irrelevant when they release ( and later improve ) one of these devices that translate whatever languages you want , live.

Comment

Originally posted by gooddayall View Post
              last and current empires speak english - that pretty much sums it up why english is most popular. Eventually people will speak one language - the language of earth. It is likely that for historical reasons other major countries won't just drop their language for the sake of ease of communicating internationally. Google or someone will make everything irrelevant when they release ( and later improve ) one of these devices that translate whatever languages you want , live.
              You dug up a 2 month old thread to post that drivel?
              Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
                You dug up a 2 month old thread to post that drivel?
                well I had to satisfy my ego and have the last word !

Comment

Originally posted by gooddayall View Post
                  well I had to satisfy my ego and have the last word !
                  You think?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

On Bloomberg TV at the moment is coverage of a press conference.

It is being held in Brussels.

It is about the alliance between Daimlier and Renault-Nissan.

It is in English.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

A Pan Am 727 flight waiting for start clearance in Munich overheard the following:
                      Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"
                      Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."
                      Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in Germany. Why must I speak English?"
                      Unknown voice from another plane (in a beautiful British accent): "Because you lost the war."
                      If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                      X