• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Languages and the future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Neither are separate sciences - but don't start me on that one ...
    When you don't have any industry and you don't give tax breaks to small scale R&D, why would you need scientists?

All scientists are good for are developing more efficient ways of making things, inventing new stuff to make, discovering cheaper & better treatments for illnesses, provide a better understanding of the environment, ...

Sorry. I forgot. We've just had a decade of a Catholic young earth creationist lawyer as Prime Minister, haven't we? What would he know about the use of scientists? After all, they just want to tell the truth about WMDs and then they have to be gotten rid of, don't they?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      When you don't have any industry and you don't give tax breaks to small scale R&D, why would you need scientists?

All scientists are good for are developing more efficient ways of making things, inventing new stuff to make, discovering cheaper & better treatments for illnesses, provide a better understanding of the environment, ...

Sorry. I forgot. We've just had a decade of a Catholic young earth creationist lawyer as Prime Minister, haven't we? What would he know about the use of scientists? After all, they just want to tell the truth about WMDs and then they have to be gotten rid of, don't they?
      He's a convert - they're always the worst
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
        To continue the Cyrillic theme, there are examples of Russian words making their way into modern political speak to support your statement eg aparachnik
        Sorry but...... apparatchik Shirley!

Other than using a nonsense word I generaly agriski

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          *Brits aren't arrogant about language - they're mortally embarrassed about how crap they are at it and that come across as arrogant.
          I had a Eureka moment a couple of years ago when asked why the English don't speak other languages. My theory went back to sadistic school teachers who would physically beat you for making a simple mistake. That leaves us with a terror of making mistakes and/or sounding like an idiot, which doesn't seem to bother foreigners when speaking English. My experience was that we spent too much time concentrating on grammar and spelling and not enough time speaking. The marking system didn't help - a few spelling errors had you heading for a fail no matter how fluent you were.

Does George Bernard Shaw's statement also apply?
          "It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him."

If we are so conscious of getting it wrong in our own language, what chance do we have in other languages?

A much better way to gain confidence in a foreign language is to get stuck in, which is the antithesis of the way I was taught. On the German course I did half a dozen years ago we spent a much greater percentage of the time talking than in any lesson I recall from my schooldays.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Eastern Europeans don't learn Russian any more; they learn English instead. I expect the same thing will happen to other minor empire languages: French, Spanish etc. Former colonies will no longer speak their former masters' minor languages, and they will learn English instead.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              Eastern Europeans don't learn Russian any more; they learn English instead.
              I would not be so sure - German and French markets closer to them and I'd say probably more relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
                To continue the Cyrillic theme, there are examples of Russian words making their way into modern political speak to support your statement eg aparachnik
                Mamouth is a Russian word also.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  I would not be so sure - German and French markets closer to them and I'd say probably more relevant.
                  Maybe as a third language. My point is that Russian was compulsory in the USSR, I believe (for those who didn't speak it). Young people have replaced it with English.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

Does George Bernard Shaw's statement also apply?
                    Why doesn't 'ghoti' sound like 'fish'?
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                      Why doesn't 'ghoti' sound like 'fish'?
                      But it does.

Comment

Working...
                      X