• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The BN66 thread has broken a record!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Minestrone, I am sorry but bollocks. If there is a loophole there to be exploited - why not exploit it... Ltd Co's do for expenses and divs or did before IR35 and continue to do as much as they can get away with.
    Because expenses are incurred whilst doing business, and dividends are within the rules. BN66 was bending the rules to say the least.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Minestrone, I am sorry but bollocks. If there is a loophole there to be exploited - why not exploit it... Ltd Co's do for expenses and divs or did before IR35 and continue to do as much as they can get away with.
      WSS

You can only obey the law as it stands at this moment. Fair enough, maybe they weren't obeying the spirit of the law, but that's not illegal.

Comment

Don't Tesco's do this anyway? The operate in the cayman islands last I read...
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
          Because expenses are incurred whilst doing business, and dividends are within the rules. BN66 was bending the rules to say the least.
          So was BN66 before HMRC changed the rules to suit themselves.
          Last edited by cailin maith; 20 January 2010, 15:47.
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

The best thing about this BN66 stuff is they seem to have given up on pestering the rest of us over IR35.

Comment

I don't support the tax planning regime that the folks affected by BN66 used.

However I do very strongly support their case as the concept of retrospective legislation is deeply offensive to me and completely at variance with any kind of natural justice.

I've tried to help their cause with MP's letters and FOI requests as it's one thing for a tax law to be changed and applied from that date and quite another to change the rules and try to hammer people that were operating under the old regime when it was "legal" or not adequately covered so that a loophole could be exploited.
              It's up to government to make clear laws without loopholes and inconsistencies.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                I don't support the tax planning regime that the folks affected by BN66 used.

However I do very strongly support their case as the concept of retrospective legislation is deeply offensive to me and completely at variance with any kind of natural justice.

I've tried to help their cause with MP's letters and FOI requests as it's one thing for a tax law to be changed and applied from that date and quite another to change the rules and try to hammer people that were operating under the old regime when it was "legal" or not adequately covered so that a loophole could be exploited.
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  Sort of. It's up to the House of Commons to think up laws based on economic need, political decisions, kneejerk reactions and the demands of the daily press. It is then for the House of Lords to sit and think about them and spot the loopholes and inconsistencies and bounce them back until they are tidy enough to become real law.

Also, one hopes one or two independent MPs or brave backbenchers take on board what their constituents have to say and pass on their feedback too.

Sadly, a certain government decided we didn't need a roomfull of old codgers messing about with their political laws, and then decided they didn't need a roomfull of old codgers with any power at all.

And since the leader of that government was himself a lawyer, we had the worst possible situation: a lawyer making laws to serve his own career politician ends (and the busines of his lawyer wife who is doing very nicely out of laws passed this last 15 years) with no checks and balances.

Having laws without loopholes and inconsistencies does NOT serve the ends of a lawyer.

And when it comes to taxation, it does not serve the ends of an economist in the position of Chanceller of the Exchequer, either.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    There's another problem with expenses

They still don't seem to get the idea of travel costs being a necessary business expense.

its the 2yr rule innit?
                    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Most users ever online was 714, Today at 15:50.
                      So, these 200 or 300 users we had online today reading the BN66 thread. Were they BN66 victims and their family ... or HMRC employees?

What else are they monitoring...
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X