• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most overused words/phrases at the mo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandwidth - when used as a synonym for time, as in 'I don't have the bandwidth to do that'.

Pure management consultant speak that makes me want to puke.
    Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

'Touch base'

Anyone touches my base and I'll wrench their arm off

Just sick of agents calling to 'touch base' - oh DO eff off
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Politicians' favourite - "I'm clear that ........"

No, you're not clear, you block the view from all angles.

Comment

Answer later, I'm too busy sexting.

Comment

"at the mo"
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by George Parr View Post
              Bandwidth - when used as a synonym for time, as in 'I don't have the bandwidth to do that'.

Pure management consultant speak that makes me want to puke.
              Easily countered nowadays by taking them at face value and offering them a high speed package
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

"To be fair..."

"Off of" used in place of "from" - where has this come from? It's ATROCIOUS.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  "To be fair..."

"Off of" used in place of "from" - where has this come from? It's ATROCIOUS.
                  I blame Scott Mills. I refuse to listen to him for this reason alone
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                    I blame Scott Mills. I refuse to listen to him for this reason alone
                    I was going to mention that cretin in the post, I don't listen to R1 much at all now, because the other idiot DJ's have now adopted this grammatical grubbiness.

It annoys me almost as much as when you're having a coughing fit, like, are close to choking, and someone is standing watching intently, asking "are you all right?" - like you can ANSWER.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                      I was going to mention that cretin in the post, I don't listen to R1 much at all now, because the other idiot DJ's have now adopted this grammatical grubbiness.

It annoys me almost as much as when you're having a coughing fit, like, are close to choking, and someone is standing watching intently, asking "are you all right?" - like you can ANSWER.
                      A girl who's a grammar pedant, I think I'm in love
                      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                      X