• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Book of the decade

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    They still do!
    Ed Reardons week is back soon

EDIT: I missed the first f****** episode!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006r5ck
    Is ‘I’m Sorry I haven’t a clue’ still going? I know it could never be quite the same without Humph, but I’m sure there are presenters who could make a go of it.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Is ‘I’m Sorry I haven’t a clue’ still going? I know it could never be quite the same without Humph, but I’m sure there are presenters who could make a go of it.
      i think they just finished a run
      Just a minute is usually pretty funny although Paul Merton seems to win almost every single week
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        I heard something on Radio 4 the other day which completely blew apart the pedants arguement of when decades begin and end.
        Unfortunately I can't remember the content of the discussion
        Wasn't it More or Less - which should be compulsory listening for most people on CUK, predominantly through choice.

There was an astronomer explaining why the decade being discussed runs from 01/01/2001 to 31/12/2010 and an utter tulip-for-brains being downright stupid and argumentative for the sake of it (in Today programme style) whose whole argument was "I think otherwise so you are wrong narny-narny-nar-nar".
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Some random crap.
          Beer
          is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

23 posts and no one's mentioned the great Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code yet. Excellent book.

Comment

Economics and Prudent Fiscal Policy

Brown, G and Darling, A; London 2009
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                Wasn't it More or Less - which should be compulsory listening for most people on CUK, predominantly through choice.

There was an astronomer explaining why the decade being discussed runs from 01/01/2001 to 31/12/2010 and an utter tulip-for-brains being downright stupid and argumentative for the sake of it (in Today programme style) whose whole argument was "I think otherwise so you are wrong narny-narny-nar-nar".
                Why would an astronomer be explaining it? Isn't it more a philosophical question, i.e. in our Christian-centric calendar the year 01AD is the first year AD and therefore the decade is 01 - 10 rather than 00 - 09 (leaving out the intricacies of Gregorian calendar updates....)

My vote goes to either Da Vinci Code or the first Harry Potter by the way, for their impact on modern society and general pandering to the masses.

Comment

By that reckoning of decades, 1990 was not in the nineties...
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    By that reckoning of decades, 1990 was not in the nineties...
                    That's why it's as much philosophical as mathematical - when you were born you had a whole year of being 0 before turning 1, hence the day before you turn ten you're finishing your first decade.

If you're pigeon-holing years by calling them "eighties" or "nineties" then clearly 1990 falls into your classification of "nineties"; however, it is also the last year of the 198th decade since our Christian-based calendar began.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                      23 posts and no one's mentioned the great Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code yet. Excellent book.
                      I'd rather tear out my eye balls and lubricate them with chilli paste. It takes a really awful book for me to get halfway through and stop reading ...
                      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                      X