• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blew off three interviews already this year.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newblood View Post
    Three phone interviews, I delivered top-notch performance at all three , one of the agents even told me I was going to get one of them .... and now few days later I am still sitting here back to square one.
    How would the agent know you were going to get one of the roles, if it wasn't a conference call telephone interview?

IME it pays to only think you've got the job when you step on site. In my contracting career I've been told by three clients at different times that I had the job in the interview only for each to fall through.

Keep on plugging away!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

That is how ungrateful IT knowledge has become these days.
      "These days"? Nobody wants my COBOL, C-CP/M-86, DRX, VME and a dozen other skill sets. It has ever been thus.

I am at the end of the queue after all you English lot.
      Don't you believe it.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Blew off 3 interviewers and still didn't get the job? Can't be very good can you?

Oh. I misread the title...

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
          Blew off 3 interviewers and still didn't get the job? Can't be very good can you?
          He was only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I really struggle to judge interviews a lot of the time. I did a couple of really smooth interviews before Xmas and didn't get either job. Then I did a couple of unimpressive phone interviews last week (both for the same client) where I didn't get any feeling of warmth or confidence from either of the interviewers, only to be told by the agent that they both thought I was really good and want to see me face-to-face, and will pay for flights and accomodation to get me to the interview.

Everyone seems to be massively dragging out the recruitment process at the moment, as well. I don't remember doing more than one interview for a role before, and then it was often just a phone interview and decision within a couple of hours top. Now I'm doing at least two interviews for every job and not hearing back for ages, even when it's a positive response.

I've got five bloody roles going through the process at the moment. I'm thinking of making a video of my spiel and putting it on YouTube, so they can watch it while I go and make a cup of coffee. I've gone through it that many times.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
              I've got five bloody roles going through the process at the moment. I'm thinking of making a video of my spiel and putting it on YouTube, so they can watch it while I go and make a cup of coffee. I've gone through it that many times.
              Don't be so quick to throw that idea away - I working on this at the moment (though not for youtube consumption).
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Blowing off is indeed a good way of ruining a good interview. I've turned good people down for bringing flatulence to work with them.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                  Everyone seems to be massively dragging out the recruitment process at the moment, as well. I don't remember doing more than one interview for a role before, and then it was often just a phone interview and decision within a couple of hours top. Now I'm doing at least two interviews for every job and not hearing back for ages, even when it's a positive response.
                  It's either dragging it out or posting jobs before they've even had sign off.

The insurance market is panicking about solvency II atm and are panic recruiting for positions they shouldn't even be thinking about till their implementation plans have been reviewed and approved by Lloyd's, which isn't for another month or so.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I made such a dumb mistake yesterday that I'm basically sitting here smacking myself round the head.

I went for two separate interviews for different teams at the same company. One interview in the morning, one in the afternoon.

Anyway, first interview went really well. Got on with both project manager and technical lead and they ended the interview by asking when I'd be available to start. Good signs all round. Unfortunately, as we were walking out, as smalltalk, I went and mentioned that I had this other interview later on. What the hell was I thinking?

The big problem you see is that the other team use written technical tests, which the first interviewer didn't. So he immediately latched on to that and said, "Oh great, be interesting to see what result you get in the test!"

So, I went and did the test and thought it went ok, but I've just heard back from that team that I didn't do well enough for them and they won't be taking things further. The other team (the good interview) is trying to get hold of the test I did to see where I went wrong and decide if it matters. So, I'm left hanging here waiting for that to pan out. And kicking myself. If I'd never mentioned the other interview then there's a good chance I'd be off the f***ing bench right now.

The only hope I'm clinging on to is that I'm pretty sure the mistakes I made were minor and not at all critical, from what I can remember from the test and have cross-checked since. I think the technical test interviewers are really picky about who they hire. Just praying that's the case anyway, and that the other guy is more about personalities and fitting in to the team rather than pure technical faultlessness.

Sample question answered wrong:

I wasn't sure about CSS list style and chose "list-type: square" instead of "list-style-type: square" from the options offered. Daft mistake, just haven't used it for a while and chose wrong. But that's a point off the score. On the other hand, I correctly answered several tricky JavaScript questions about arrays, the ternary operator, childNodes and so on, which I would have thought should carry more weight really.

Ach, who am I kidding.

Comment

Working...
                    X