• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rear wheel drive on snow/ice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary View Post
    Too much torque will spin the wheels, so you want less torque, not more, which is why it's often easier to set off in a higher gear. It's a good thing if the torque is more controllable, so you can use engine revs and clutch control to deliver *less* torque through the wheels.
    I don't think so, not for a bog-standard car. I can take off in a diesel much easier than I ever did in a petrol car.

Having less torque at low revs means you stall easier trying to keep the speed down. That's why with such cars you use higher revs, and use the clutch to avoid transmitting too much speed to the wheels. That adds difficulty (and it doesn't do the clutch much good).

However, high torque at low revs means you can creep off on very low revs without stalling (and without having to slip the clutch). If you are on low revs, you have less chance of wheelspin. It is particularly useful starting up a hill.

I have now experienced this many times over the past two weeks or so. Or am I like the bumble bee - it shouldn't work, but I don't know it shouldn't work so it does?

Comment

Test results

Deflating rear tyres

If anything, this made it worse.

Adding weight in the boot

I used five 600x600x50mm concrete paving slabs. Approximate weight per slab 40kg (6 stone).

Total weight - 200Kg (30 stone)

This made a massive improvement. I was able to climb the hill with virtually no loss of traction.
      Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 10 January 2010, 09:28.

Comment

Winter tyres (winter, NOT pure snow tyres). Stick them on Nov-Mar and benefit from much better, safer performance in all conditions while temps are below 7C.

Cost averages out as summer tyres are now having a winter's rest
        Gronda Gronda

Comment

All steep hills here, so the big car and 4x4 owners are having a hard time getting around. the little FWD cars seem to be doing ok though.
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I rather fail trying to get uphill than downhill.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
              Put auto box in 2 and not D, and it pulls away in 2nd. Press the D3 on the end of the stick and it won't go up into 4th, and will stick to 3rd max, but will stay in 2nd as long as possible is 2 is selected.

Currently have a CRV, previously a Civic Coupe, and they are/were both fine.
              Although having the 4WD cut in on the CRV does make a big difference.

neither would redline until 65mph in 2nd, so you can do the whole journey is one gear if you really want to.
              CRV is effectively a front wheel drive car 90% of the time anyway.

My auto box sets off in first if you put it in "2" - it just changes up to 2 and then no higher (and back down to first).

I have put my old valve amp in the boot - estimated weight 50Kg - I don't have any paving slabs about. We'll see. My car is utterly hopeless in this weather being the worst combination of all:

- Diesel engine in the front, but rear wheel drive
              - Lightweight car - aluminium
              - Auto transmission with no "snow mode"
              - Very wide 40% profile ("summer") rear tyres with no weight over the back
              - I am a crap driver

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
                Winter tyres (winter, NOT pure snow tyres). Stick them on Nov-Mar and benefit from much better, safer performance in all conditions while temps are below 7C.

Cost averages out as summer tyres are now having a winter's rest
                Mine are on their way. I'm going to start fitting these each year now after being caught out in the snow for the last three years, either needing to abandon the car or get help moving it from a parked position to get it moving. As you said, much better than summer tyres when temp below 7C.

I ordered Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes

Comment

Went out today in a 360bhp RWD automatic in thick snow and ice with no problems apart from a little bit of fishtailing when accelerating out of a junction which caused a small palpitation. I do have winter tyres though
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Good video test on winter (not studded) tyres:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEM...eature=related

Of course more grip might just mean you drive faster, and so have a bigger accident.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      Of course more grip might just mean you drive faster, and so have a bigger accident.
                      Aha! The philosophy that says cars should be made from glass and have a big sharpened spike sticking out of the steering wheel and pointing at the driver's chest as a way of ensuring road safety.
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X