• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rear wheel drive on snow/ice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I first took my VW Golf out in the snow, it was absolutely useless. after a day of back-end wandering and two spinouts, I removed all the heavy stuff from the boot (Large Toolbox, Trolley jack and a pile of diving equipment including weight belts) and it's performance in the snow is amazing, it's like driving on clear roads.
    I have been passing stranded 4x4's, trundling up steep hills and generally getting places that few other vehicles are getting.

Oh! I do have snow tyres on the front
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      When I first took my VW Golf out in the snow, it was absolutely useless. after a day of back-end wandering and two spinouts, I removed all the heavy stuff from the boot (Large Toolbox, Trolley jack and a pile of diving equipment including weight belts) and it's performance in the snow is amazing, it's like driving on clear roads.
      I have been passing stranded 4x4's, trundling up steep hills and generally getting places that few other vehicles are getting.

Oh! I do have snow tyres on the front
      I had a MK1 Diesel Golf in the 80s. Had great fun in the snow and I was rather naughty in overtaking the snow plough on a dual carriageway. Diesel engines have a lot more low speed torque that petrol engines and therefore, sometimes you may outperform petrol 4x4s on snow and ice.

My C5 is holding to the ice and snow really well without chains. In fact I am finding it difficult to actually make it slide.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Diesel engines have a lot more low speed torque that petrol engines and therefore, sometimes you may outperform petrol 4x4s on snow and ice.
        How do you work that out? More torque makes it's easier to spin the wheels and harder to control. Only good thing about the S2000 in the snow is that it has the torque of a 1.1 Fiesta.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          How do you work that out? More torque makes it's easier to spin the wheels and harder to control. Only good thing about the S2000 in the snow is that it has the torque of a 1.1 Fiesta.
          I think it means you can keep the revs down and stay in a higher numbered gear for longer but still make good progress, without for example havng to change down a gear and floor it in order to get up a snow covered hill, you can instead pretty much cruise up it with hardle anymore throttle input. You can also pull away in a higher numbered gear also. I would imagine snow ploughs have very torquey engines, and the best 4WD's probably have powerful diesel torquey engines.
          Revs are an enemy in the snow, and being able to drive the car smoothly with fewer changes in the balance is good (low revs, no heavy braking,less gear changes)
          Last edited by SuperZ; 9 January 2010, 11:05.

Comment

Diesel engines have a lot more low speed torque that petrol engines and therefore, sometimes you may outperform petrol 4x4s on snow and ice.
            Totally concur. I've got a diesel, a mere Honda Civic, which is nothing flash with no traction control or anything.

It's the first time I've driven a diesel in these conditions, and I've been surprised at how good they are. I've got past several cars who were hopelessly stuck on hills.

In the past couple of weeks I've discovered that nearly everyone seemed to know about diesels, their high torque, and their ability in slippery conditions, except me!

Comment

Torque at low revs, plus a diesel engine is heavier than its petrol equivalent, giving extra traction for a FWD vehicle.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                Torque at low revs, plus a diesel engine is heavier than its petrol equivalent, giving extra traction for a FWD vehicle.
                I know that now. I blame my parents for not educating me properly.

And global warming for providing less chance for it to become relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  WHS, more torque will just spin the wheels, which is why it's often easier to set off in 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
                    WHS, more torque will just spin the wheels, which is why it's often easier to set off in 2nd.
                    No, think about it. The opposite is true.

More torque means it won't stall at very low revs, so you can take off and drive at low revs and NOT spin the wheels.

I wouldn't set off in second.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
                      More torque when suddenly applied may spin the wheels (bad driving in snow). With more torque you may be able to set off in 3rd or 4th gear or even higher.

Rememeber, torque has the ability to move the car without much change in revs/power. If you can get the torque you need to get up a hill with little change in revs/power that will be good. If you have to change down a gear and rev the engine to achieve the desired torque to make it up the hill you may struggle.

I'm sure an optimum exists depending on size of car and weight. type of drive (RWD/FWD/4RWD), and of course the way the car delivers torque and power (smooth or sudden) etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X