• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rear wheel drive on snow/ice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    The only road out of where I live is a steep hill covered in snow/ice. It's been an absolute nightmare getting out in my old merc auto estate.

I have read that the following could improve traction with RWD. Anyone tried either of these with any success?

a) deflating rear tyres
    b) loading the boot eg. with paving stones

Thanks
    DR
    I haven't driven my BMW since Tues when I tried driving it to work with a v heavy BBQ in the boot, it was still difficult.

My solution is - walking?
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll try a combination of turning off traction control, deflating the tyres and loading up the back to see if it makes any difference.

Comment

The only road out of where I live is a steep hill covered in snow/ice. It's been an absolute nightmare getting out in my old merc auto estate.

I have read that the following could improve traction with RWD. Anyone tried either of these with any success?

a) deflating rear tyres

Thanks
        DR
        c) get up before the wife and take her 4x4.
        Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

a) deflating rear tyres

Thanks
          DR
          Snowchains.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

WHat's so urgent that you have to drive in the snow? Relax, enjoy the pretty whiteness everywhere, don't get stressed out driving in snow, bouncing off parked cars, as somebody did to my car the other day, the stupid mot### f#####!!

Comment

I diff lock in FWD cars would solve a lot of problems, I spent an hour chipping away at the ice in front of the offside wheel whilst the nearside had bare grippy tarmac in front.

Dishwasher salt saved the day again.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I got my S2000 stuck in the snow on a slight incline last year. Wide rear summer tyres, and perfect weight distribution are not good for snow. The S2000 has a torsen diff which means it'll happily spin one wheel, but you can defeat it by pulling on the handbrake, which does work up to a point.

Weight in the boot supposedly does help, but by doing that you're making your car more oversteery which might not be such a great idea. Letting down the rear tyres might help with traction, but also isn't a good thing to be doing.

It's not RWD, it's weight. Snow is one occasion where you're better off having bad weight distribution: i.e. typical FWD, or Porsche. Any proper RWD car has good balance and so is bad at snow.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                  WHat's so urgent that you have to drive in the snow? Relax, enjoy the pretty whiteness everywhere, don't get stressed out driving in snow, bouncing off parked cars, as somebody did to my car the other day, the stupid mot### f#####!!
                  Getting paid? Hundreds of pounds a day sounds like a 'necessary journey' to me.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Get one of these........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUxKdF7BjNE

I drove one for nearly 14 years. It was simply unstoppable on snow and ice, never slid, even on ice for a hill start.....
                    “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

Comment

Electrical Engineer repair man came to see the neighbour today. (This is starting to sound Wilmslow-esque).

Got down the road ok, which leads to a car park at the end.

When he finished, he tried to get up the hill out of the car park, and his poor van couldn't make it.

He was revving, slipping backwards, speeding forwards, slipping backwards, and I felt sorry for him.

He tried this for nearly 2 hours, until he finally got out.

Personally, I'd have messed about for 10 minutes, then given it up for a bad job. 2 hours seems a long time to get stressed over a bit of snow.
                      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                      X