• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's -10c here in sunny Manchester

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I found some strange tracks in the snow in the back garden, not cat or bird. They were like two runnels, a couple of inches apart, eight inches deep, as if something had been dragged though the snow.

Squirrel bobsleigh team.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      When I was in the UK over Christmas, I realised that my parents new car had proper all year round tyres on, ie a winter tread. Holds well on snow and ice.

Worth checking your tyres to see if you have a winter tread, i.e. small slits.

I was curious and noticed most newer cars in the Supermarket car park had them but the older ones didn't.
      Perhaps they have given up on the Brits ever changing to winter tyres in winter like everybody else.
      Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
        Engine breaking? I hope not! Engine braking would be better.
        Noted, You Pedant
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
          Squirrel bobsleigh team.

That's given me a lovely image in my head
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
            Why do people in 4x4's think they are invulnerable.
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
              Eh? We've got a 4x4 and it's not slipped/skidded an inch yet. It's barely noticed the ice and snow. The only danger taking it out has been all the other idiots spinning and sliding about.
              WHS!

4x4 vehicles aren't the problem, it's the 4x4 school run mum (and dad) drivers
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Yeah big bad nasty 4x4 owners ... I'm hearing about lots of local authorities making appeals for owners of Aygos to come forward to help deliver essential supplies
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Yeah big bad nasty 4x4 owners ... I'm hearing about lots of local authorities making appeals for owners of Aygos to come forward to help deliver essential supplies
                  All that boot space makes them ideal!
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

4x4 vehicles aren't the problem, it's the 4x4 school run mum (and dad) drivers
                    Not forgetting that those darned cretinous 4x4 drivers have caused all this bad weather in the first place!!

hth

sasguru
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                      Its reading -10 on my Maplins weather station, still a long way to go till we get to the -20 expected up in Scotland though.

I found some strange tracks in the snow in the back garden, not cat or bird. They were like two runnels, a couple of inches apart, eight inches deep, as if something had been dragged though the snow.

Minus 8 here this morning, so a little warmer. Apparently parts of Machester saw -18 last night.

Your tracks in the snow are probably a cat. That depth of snow means they can't tread normally and end up dragging their feet through the snow leaving ruts instead of paw prints. This is based on watching my dogs running about in deep snow yesterday and the trails they left behind
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X