• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Large Tv's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Tv's

I'm in the market for a new TV and home cinema setup, and after looking through all the ad's am puzzledby the difference between LCD and Plasma? someone has said to me that plasmas degrade over 2/3 years can anyone shed any light on this?

Also any known "dodgy" brands or things in general to look out for when comparing?

Cheers in advance

N3

LCD is better than Plasma, just go to a showroom ans the difference id obvious.

Also go for a HDTV (High definition TV), broadcasts start next year.
    Also get a Digital tuner.

HTH

MG

P.S. if any one knows about camcorders then please post here http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread5067.html
    Last edited by MrsGoof; 9 December 2005, 16:21.
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Get yourself over on to avforums there is absolutely oodles of information on there!

Comment

Forget all these plasma & LCD screens.

You wonna go for a nice 14" CRT TV

I've got a Projector & power screen.

in 4:3 It's 6ft x 6ft - Full setup inc 5:1 sound was less than £1000
        Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

In terms of picture quality - Plasma beats LCD hands down. Plasma looks good from every angle however with LCD you have to be within the zone to truly enjoy the picture.
          Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            I don't like LCD screens.

The lag always irritates me & for some reason they tend to hurt my eyes more than a crt does.

And plasma screens are pretty power hungry... verging on the power consumption of tvs back in the days of valves, 300W plus.

Keeps the room warm though.
            That's 'coz you Giant Alien Lizards see colours differently to us. Try watching in monochrome...

Churchill - In "Veterinarian to the Discerning Giant Alien Lizard" mode!

Comment

Get yourself one of them rear projection jobbies. Dead cheapo, and any fuse monkey can fix 'em when they break.

I'd wait a while with this HDTV, LCD and plasma stuff, the prices are going to drop dramatically soon after they start transmitting HDTV.

HDTV at prez is a lot of a con, most stuff is recorded at lower res, so it's a bit like vinyl transfered to CD, and it actually gets sent down a narrower pipe, so it just don't pass the pepsi challenge. In a couple or so years HDTV will have improved as more stuff is recorded at higher res in the first place, then it'll possibly be worth it for DVDs, but broadcast will still be crap for at least 5 or so more years until bandwidth catches up.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Wait two years, then buy a 1920x1080 HDTV resolution rear-projection 50" or bigger TV, which will be much cheaper than the equivalent plasma or LCD, and probably have better picture quality.

I bought my 50" TV 18 months ago - at the time I understood there was no prospect of HDTV coming to UK - looks like I will be replacing it before its fourth birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                  Get yourself one of them rear projection jobbies. Dead cheapo, and any fuse monkey can fix 'em when they break.

I'd wait a while with this HDTV, LCD and plasma stuff, the prices are going to drop dramatically soon after they start transmitting HDTV.

HDTV at prez is a lot of a con, most stuff is recorded at lower res, so it's a bit like vinyl transfered to CD, and it actually gets sent down a narrower pipe, so it just don't pass the pepsi challenge. In a couple or so years HDTV will have improved as more stuff is recorded at higher res in the first place, then it'll possibly be worth it for DVDs, but broadcast will still be crap for at least 5 or so more years until bandwidth catches up.
                  BT are already transporting HD streams on behalf of Sky Sports from live venues.

Comment

Samsung

Just bought the Samsung 32" LCD tv today with dvd/video recorder, lovely set, great user interface and quality picture sound. Only a grand and a bit and double's up as an extra monitor))))
                    whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Working...
                    X