• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Increasing profits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I am know what I am talking about because:

1) I've spent over 5 years developing
    2) working on very complex project with a lot of separate very complex tasks
    3) no obvious route to earn money

Aye - basically don't try it at home!

But I found a solution

So, the conslusions are (unless you are well funded and can manage 5+ years without revenues)

1) only work on software/service that takes 2-3 months till you launch - improve while you go
    2) have a business model from start - research market very well, don't do it after development takes place
    3) keep eyes open on other things - contracting in theory is perfect for this sort of stuff as you get time between contract to work on Plan B.

More in my future book with working name "Legends of SKA" - I'll have a big chapter dedicated to CUK
    Like I say, well done you. I'm still knackered without an idea. I spent some time googling popular software downloads this evening. Basically they're all anti virus programmes and such like. My original plan B was firewall and IDS based and as I say, I'm two years into that project. An antivirus prog would take just as long to write and the competition is way to far in front.

So as I say, without an idea, it's going nowhere.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Try this - walk through shareware software boards, look at what software does, what prices they charge - look at those that were downloaded a lot of times, do some basic research: chances are someone got a nice small but profitable niche with some simple software that you can improve considerably to gain market share. At least it will give you ideas related to reality - avoid trying to write software without clear release schedule 2-3 months away.

In fact focus on Iphone - development is relatively cheap, and there is real marketplace with people buying stuff - that's right, forget your hard drives code for Iphone. It's probably one of few remaining markets where one man team can actually play actively.

Other big fields require the man to have combined hearts of 3 lions

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
        1) Depends on a number factors.

2) Knowing how to source, negotiate, sell - all at the right price AND not giving up at the first hurdle.
        Negotiate the price down. You can bet your competitors are not paying £42 per item.

No, I don't know how to do it, or I wouldn't be here.
        Step outside posh boy

Comment

I did this a year ago as a poc. Whichever disty I used for my products, you could still buy the same product from amazon or some other such retailer for less than my wholesale price.

The truth is, unless you are in some niche area, a one man band simply does not have the negotiating power with the disties.

C'est la vie...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Getting somewhere

Found a wholesaler with proper wholesale prices.

I cannot send the application forms to them as my scanner is broken.
            Well more pertinently I cannot reinstall the software as it says "Already installed"

Buuuuuuuuut

I have got some prices out of them in the meanwhile. I did some background research and most retailers won't bother unless they can make between 15 and 40% profit.

So I took the pricelist, added a 15% and 40% column and then went shopping online. Eerily the prices from other online retailers were identical to my 40% column.

So now, a 25 pack of DVDr costs £3.50, and sells for £4.90. Plus shipping obviously. A whopping £1.40 profit, that's eaten into with packaging and labelling and wage costs.

So, it makes more sense to stock higher priced items. 40% of FA is FA. 40% of a £100 item however.

And if I could find a true niche
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

More in my future book with working name "Legends of SKA" - I'll have a big chapter dedicated to CUK
              I hope you'll describe my huge efforts to encourage you
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                even at today's paltry interest rates?
                They'd be investing it, not putting it int he same bank accounts as you and me.

That's been the insurance company model for a long time: they don't make money out of any difference between premiums and payous, they make money from the fact that they get to hold the premiums for a while before paying out. Good investing of this money is vital for an insurance company.
                Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  I have got some prices out of them in the meanwhile. I did some background research and most retailers won't bother unless they can make between 15 and 40% profit.

So I took the pricelist, added a 15% and 40% column and then went shopping online. Eerily the prices from other online retailers were identical to my 40% column.

So now, a 25 pack of DVDr costs £3.50, and sells for £4.90. Plus shipping obviously. A whopping £1.40 profit, that's eaten into with packaging and labelling and wage costs.

So, it makes more sense to stock higher priced items. 40% of FA is FA. 40% of a £100 item however.
                  So the problem is not being able to sell at a profit. It's convincing people why they should buy from you, rather than the other hundred or so online shops. It's like when I use Kelkoo to find the cheapest place for some DVD boxset. Big names are always in the top, but there's usually some random site like buysomecheapdvdsnow.com 50p cheaper... and for that kind of saving I choose the company I have heard of.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

www.peeseeworld.com is available.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X