• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That Cameron

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Tories only help the rich
    Saw a TV clip of an MP who was campaigning in the last election. He tried to explain to a voter that people who opted to pay for healthcare (and get a refund of half the cost from NHS) would be saving the NHS half the cost of treatment. The voter was emphatically unimpressed, responded that this was just Tories trying to help the rich as usual and this was why she would never vote for them. She couldn't see NHS resources being saved to the benefit of everyone; all she could see was a better-off person being helped. I couldn't help thinking that her hatred of "the rich" was such that if forced to choose between allowing co-payments for a treatment or the state not paying for the treatment for anyone, she would choose the latter. She would rather spite herself than help "the rich."

So while this Howard policy (and school voucher schemes) are perfectly sensible, I think for PR reasons Cameron is right to rule out any policy that allows better-off to add their own money to entitlement from state in order to buy better services. This will make it a lot harder to introduce market forces in health and education though.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 12 December 2005, 16:34.

Comment

I can't help thinking that it may be time that the Tories started trying to educate people and treat them like rational human beings rather than copy the Bliar approach of thinking for them and talking at them. If the general populace believe that Tories will support the wealthier middle and upper classes - explain to them that without these people there will be no economy good or otherwise. Alienating those with money will eventually result in a mass migration (as is happening now) and if the rich aren't there to supply the taxes to support the masses then the masses will not have access to the services they take for granted now. How hard is that to understand really?

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole
        Maybe, but Joe Public thinks it, and Joe Public votes.

I'll tell you. The Tories have had some good policies, but don't get elected because of their image. Having great policies in opposition is truly pointless, like the Lib Dems, so they have recognised the need to get elected in the first place.

For ten years, whatever hard policies the Tories espouse, Labour turn it round on them. For example:

1. Regaining control over immigration is racist

2. Staying out of the euro and the euro constitution is xenophobic

3. Reducing public spending means sacking teachers and nurses

And Joe Public believes this tosh (like snaw).
        I don't believe I actually said I agree or disagree with any of that so don't go putting words in my mouth for me, thanks all the same. Especially given I don't recall voting for labour at an election recently.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
          Strangely enough he's the first tory leader I'd even consider considering...he might well be taking the tories in a direction I might vote for, i.e. away from being a small minded, xenophobic, white, middle class, english male with all the baggage that brings and back to something resembling the centre ground, with a touch of compassion thrown in.
          I don't believe I actually said I agree or disagree with any of that so don't go putting words in my mouth for me, thanks all the same.
          Your own words sound like you believe it to me snaw, since you are talking about your personal road to Damascus rather than that of Joe Public.

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole
            Your own words sound like you believe it to me snaw, since you are talking about your personal road to Damascus rather than that of Joe Public.
            The only thing which you could reasonably assume based on what I said is that I think the tory pary are xenophobic. I'd stand by that, not because I am pro or con the EU but because most tories (The MP's at least) are almost pathological in their complete dismissal of any sort of pro-euro opinion. An issue which has come close to ripping the tories apart over the years and ruined the chances of any vaguely pro-euro tory leadership candidate.

Everything else you said is an assumption, based not on what I think but on what you think I think. And you'd be wrong.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

The only thing which you could reasonably assume based on what I said is that I think the tory pary are xenophobic. I'd stand by that, not because I am pro or con the EU but because most tories (The MP's at least) are almost pathological in their complete dismissal of any sort of pro-euro opinion. An issue which has come close to ripping the tories apart over the years and ruined the chances of any vaguely pro-euro tory leadership candidate.

Everything else you said is an assumption, based not on what I think but on what you think I think. And you'd be wrong.
              Why is being Eurosceptic xenophobic? The labour party is equally split by Europe.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                Why is being Eurosceptic xenophobic?
                It isn't in the slightest, except to those who believe New Labour nonsense.

Comment

Why is being Eurosceptic xenophobic? The labour party is equally split by Europe.
                  I wouldn't say the EU question is quite as bitter within Labour(Anything like it actually), but I said xenophobic in respect of the tories more in the way they handle it. Almost seems to go beyond heated discussion into suicidal, party ending hatred. It's not even rational I think. Xenophobic might a bit strong but whatever it is it's not what I'd personally call particularily attractive to those not on the right wing of the tory party.

Comment

I wouldn't say the EU question is quite as bitter within Labour(Anything like it actually), but I said xenophobic in respect of the tories more in the way they handle it. Almost seems to go beyond heated discussion into suicidal, party ending hatred. It's not even rational I think. Xenophobic might a bit strong but whatever it is it's not what I'd personally call particularily attractive to those not on the right wing of the tory party.
                    The reason that it is not as bitter a topic in labour is because NL wont discuss it. They deal with it with meaningless soundbites. The EU is essentially a battleground between five types of people: Those that believe in statism on a grand scale (the left), those that believe in freedom and democracy (the right), those who believe that the EU can become the second (usually tories), little englanders and protectionist lefties (tories, IT contractors and lefties) and those who dont have the intelligence to see Europe as anything more than not having to swap currency on holiday (Milan), or think its cool simply to be "European"
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Those who think its cool simply to be "European"

Going to Europe is cool. Sitting in a continental-style pavement cafe in the freezing cold in Milton Keynes isn't. It's freezing cold.

BTW Prescott once said he wanted to create a New Tuscany stretching from Hull to Liverpool. What is a New Tuscany?

Comment

Working...
                      X