• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been thinking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Note to suity - don't work in Lloyd's of London HTH Small market, incestuous and small minds, if you're willing to put up with that then, fine.

You're out of it so don't worry.
    I think I got unlucky with the particular Lloyds firm I was at. I have kept in touch with one of the developers there and after I left the management from Director of IT down were removed.

It wasn't me, it wasn't the Lloyds market. It was most definately them.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Step away from IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
        Step away from IT.
        OK. Would you care to elaborate?

Comment

For me, the boredom of programming the same thing over and over again happened years ago. And their are definitely as many numpties in finance as every other sector.

Thats why I'm day trading.

You don't need any stock, office space, customers. Just a laptop and an internet connection.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
            For me, the boredom of programming the same thing over and over again happened years ago. And their are definitely as many numpties in finance as every other sector.

You don't need any stock, office space, customers. Just a laptop and an internet connection.
            hmmm presumably some gut instinct and some guts to go along with that too?
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Great. Where do I start? Any good links to reading material?

Comment

You must be doing this full-time right? Could you make 500 per day at it - or whatever a good contractor rate is these days..?

Comment

13 months ago I stopped talking to agents to try my plan B which was kinda setting myself up as a development company. 3 Months later I had setup everything - a website, spoke to some indians outsourcers and then ...... I realized I had no clients nor an idea how to get clients.

Then came Plans C , D , E , D all failing miserably one after another.

I am now sitting here trying to figure out the next plan , but have learned a great piece of advice. Don't quit your plan A until Plan B is working.

That said I am not particularly clever, It is now painfully obvious that I have repeated the same mistake over and over ( start a biz with market research and plan , not with what you know about )
                  but I have tried , will keep trying and that is all that matter.
                  Last edited by newblood; 28 December 2009, 23:18.

Comment

Originally posted by newblood View Post
                    13 months ago I stopped talking to agents to try my plan B which was kinda setting myself up as a development company. 3 Months later I had setup everything - a website, spoke to some indians outsourcers and then ...... I realized I had no clients nor an idea how to get clients.

Then came Plans C , D , E , D all failing miserably one after another.

I am now sitting here trying to figure out the next plan , but have learned a great piece of advice. Don't quit your plan A until Plan B is working.

That said I am not particularly clever, It is now painfully obvious that I have repeated the same mistake over and over ( start a biz with market research and plan , not with what you know about )
                    but I have tried , will keep trying and that is all that matter.
                    Well done for keeping tring and the very best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                      hmmm presumably some gut instinct and some guts to go along with that too?
                      There is some gut instinct to it, yes. After watching the charts fulltime for almost 2 years, I am starting to develop it.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      Great. Where do I start? Any good links to reading material?
                      Nothing beats experience. For me the learning has been the same as doing another degree. Also expect to blow up your account numerous times until you finally "get it".

These books are worthwhile:

Mark Douglas - Trading in The Zone, as I always recommend.
                      Martin Pring on Price Patterns
                      Steve Nisson - The Candlestick Course
                      DeMark - The New Science of Technical Analysis
                      Edwin Lefevre - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                      You must be doing this full-time right? Could you make 500 per day at it - or whatever a good contractor rate is these days..?
                      If you make 5% a week of your trading capital, then you are doing very well and better than most hedge fund managers. However, if you try to achieve this by risking more than 2% of your account at any one time, then you wont stick around for long.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X