• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sir Terry Wogan retires from Radio 2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    WHS. I like the 4-5pm slot ( except Mariella Frostrup who plays the arty farty card ).
    With a voice like hers she can plays whatever she likes....
    Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Mostly agree, apart from
      - Gardeners' Question Time
      - Some very boring plays/drama in the afternoons (usually at 2.15 and again at 3.30 or 3.45)
      I'm usually at work when they're on

typically though, 4pm onwards is very listenable (apart from the archers)
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
        With a voice like hers she can plays whatever she likes....
        I do hear you ! And I still listen just incase, BUT she's rubbish.

Comment

As I have said before and I will say again a man that has said "She was on all fours on the vestry floor and he said he was Pastor Kidneys" on the radio deserves a knighthood.

Comment

I recall once when he used to have a lunch time TV slot ( I think it was with Mel Sykes but could be wrong)

They were talking about meat on the bone and he did manage to ask her if she liked to suck the marrow out of it....

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              I recall once when he used to have a lunch time TV slot ( I think it was with Mel Sykes but could be wrong)

They were talking about meat on the bone and he did manage to ask her if she liked to suck the marrow out of it....
              Are you sure that was Wogan and not Des O'Connor?
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Was that not Des O'Connor ?

Comment

not 100% sure no

but maybe I am confused with the lady in question cos I do remember des n mel

I am sure it was Terry's cheeky face peering out of the magic eye in the living room.

Comment

Evans is far too self-centred: every other speaking participant on his show has to talk to him rather than talk to the audience. It's not Drive Time, it's the Chris Evans Show.

And he talks over the first third and the last third of every song. He obviously prefers the sound of his own voice to the sound of the music, or at least thinks that his voice adds to the appeal. I don't.

Years ago I was surprised to find that my bbc music radio station was starting to be radio 2 instead of radio 1, but they managed to move the generation of listeners, DJs, and music over fairly smoothly from 1 to 2. Chris Evan's style (which I admit is well-done for what it is) belongs to a different generation. I suppose this is another generational change happening now, but there is nowhere for me to go on to, well, apart from Planet Rock.

Actually it's worse than that, Jim. It's an audience demographics change. Wogan's core listeners were the TOGs, but they (we?) are now being dispensed with. Evans's are bourgeois suburban women who think he's great because he asks them about their little cars.
                    Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Dave View Post
                      Does anybody like Chris Evans? Except Chris Evans
                      It's going back a long time (early-90s I suppose), but his weekend shows on the old GLR were genuine genius. The kind of programme where you'd sit in the car for 20 minutes after you'd pulled up outside your house because you didn't want to miss anything.

I know that's hard to imagine now, but it's how it was. I haven't heard him anywhere near as good as that for years, but you never know, he could get it back.

Comment

Working...
                      X