• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chorizo sausage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    We went to that stall last year and bought a shed load of dodgy stuff and binned it all in late jan
    The German sausage stand in the corner of the market? With the fat bloke selling "eyebrow raisers"? About a dozen different sausages in a bag for a £10?

He was really funny.

Did you see the comedy Welsh bloke failing to sell Welsh whisky? He was ignoring the potential customers - desparate not to make he sale, he was. I was looking for the camera; I was sure he was a stooge for Candid Camera. Comedy red hair wig and everything. I've never actually seen someone so stereotypically Welsh in Wales.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
      Somebody told me of an office they worked in Germany where the loos had no doors. Is this common? I know they do the thing with the shelf on the pan so they can have a little poke about before flushing. I know a lot of CUK'ers are working over there - can you enlighten us while we are on the subject?
      I first met one of those many years ago doing a gig for Tandem on an installation in factory in Poland. 'Disconcerting' is my main memory.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        I first met one of those many years ago doing a gig for Tandem on an installation in factory in Poland. 'Disconcerting' is my main memory.
        The shelf business or the no door thing?
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          The German sausage stand in the corner of the market? With the fat bloke selling "eyebrow raisers"? About a dozen different sausages in a bag for a £10?

He was really funny.

Did you see the comedy Welsh bloke failing to sell Welsh whisky? He was ignoring the potential customers - desparate not to make he sale, he was. I was looking for the camera; I was sure he was a stooge for Candid Camera. Comedy red hair wig and everything. I've never actually seen someone so stereotypically Welsh in Wales.
          Me and my bro used to do that on the run up to xmas. I'd get something like a gross of 3XL t-shirts all with the same image, and he'd have some other tat. Set up on adjoining stalls near the Fish Market in Doncaster and basically chat up all the passing totty on xmas party outings. It really was a laugh. One time had this irate woman come up and scream at us that we had no intention of actually selling anything and were just there to chat up the young ladies, and no way was she allowing her twin daughters out tonight. She was only half right: they did anyways...

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            The shelf business or the no door thing?
            Both. Shudder.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
              I was at the Christmas Market last night in Manchester... they have a stall with THE yummiest looking chorizo...

Hmmmmm Chorizo
              Blimey, it wasn't you I was chatting to outside the Revo bar at about 1:30am was it?
              Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                Blimey, it wasn't you I was chatting to outside the Revo bar at about 1:30am was it?
                Nope - I was well tucked up in bed by then!
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

He was really funny.

I wonder how much a stall costs? The one doing coffee for 3 quid a go with a small shot of some spirit in it was selling them as fast as they could make them. So if they serve 600 people in an hour (10 a minute- is pretty easy given they have about 5 on the stall on a Friday and saturday night) that's 1800 an hour! So if their peak is 5 hours that's 9k a night on a Friday and Saturday. All in lovely hard to trace cash. If you say that in their non peak times they only make 10% of this then 10 hours per day Sunday to Thursday is 1.8k a day. On a Friday and saturday if they earn that during the day, outside their non peak hours that's (5*1.8) + (2*1.8) +(2*9) = 30600 a week or a tulipload better than contracting!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    I wonder how much a stall costs? The one doing coffee for 3 quid a go with a small shot of some spirit in it was selling them as fast as they could make them. So if they serve 600 people in an hour (10 a minute- is pretty easy given they have about 5 on the stall on a Friday and saturday night) that's 1800 an hour! So if their peak is 5 hours that's 9k a night on a Friday and Saturday. All in lovely hard to trace cash. If you say that in their non peak times they only make 10% of this then 10 hours per day Sunday to Thursday is 1.8k a day. On a Friday and saturday if they earn that during the day, outside their non peak hours that's (5*1.8) + (2*1.8) +(2*9) = 30600 a week or a tulipload better than contracting!
                    A stall at Doncaster Market was £20 a day on a first come first serve basis (so you had to get up early). On the last few days before Xmas any old tat will sell as people get desperate for a gift, any gift, and if it's unusual or a hard to find size like 3XL T-shirts they'll go for it..

Yeah, it's good money, and we used to go out of our way to try to not to sell stuff, as it was a lark.

I remember a guy doing hot mushy peas with mint sauce in a cup who reckoned he'd earned more in one day than he did in his proper job in a year. He got so wrecked in the pub on the Friday night, he missed out on the queue for a stall on Saturday morning. So he came and shared with us. Proper totty magnet that stuff was.

Comment

Working...
                    X