• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone working in Glasgow?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atw,
    psst......map.....other way up...

OK nobody noticed....

Comment

Alternative ending.

Aye, that wis because they werenae hard enough.

Comment

I thought the first Viking raid on the British isles was up in Scotland somewhere, and IIRC a hundred years later they wiped out the Pict nobility.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

na. they picked off a few monasteries on the west coast, got thumped elsewhere and eventually settled for intermarriage in shetland and a few bleak settlements in the north east. the rest of them went south for easier pickings in what is now yorkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine
            na. they picked off a few monasteries on the west coast, got thumped elsewhere and eventually settled for intermarriage in shetland and a few bleak settlements in the north east. the rest of them went south for easier pickings in what is now yorkshire.
            The Vikings did not so much invade Scotland but rather established trading centres.

The notaable exception was the Battle of Largs in 220 AD when a group of Vikings malkied a bunch of Glasgow neds after a night on the Skol and leaving a Largs Chippie, the Vikings were later arrested for breach of the peace.

Speaking fo Shetlands, to this day they consider themselves Norwegian rather than Scottish, the Islands were owned by Norway unitl about 15xx or other, the Prince of Scotland married the Princess of Norway and Shetlands were given to Soctland as a marraaige dowry.

For their part Scotland agreed to pay the Norwegians a nominal sum every year, however Scotland renegeded on this deal and as recently as 1900 Norway claimed back the Shetlands due to the non fufillment of this treaty.

Im pretty sure if they could the Shetlanders would devolve completely from UK rule and go back to their Norwegian roots.

When I worked there I was called a Soothmoother , ie Mouth of the South.
            Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 7 December 2005, 09:23.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles
              Right folks,
              I'm off up to Glasgow from Jan.
              Anyone working up there? Fancy a meet?

pm me.
              RS
              Me thinks Glasgae has the best shopping outside London, it's also me home and fly up every weekend such is the banter
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
                Me thinks Glasgae has the best shopping outside London, it's also me home and fly up every weekend such is the banter
                Yes, you strike me as being a cunning linguist.

Comment

I'm starting to think Alfred is one of those neighborhood watch types, who watches too much crime watch and thinks anyone under 40 is a drunken mugger just looking for an opportunity at a home invasion.

Glasgow is nowhere near as bad as it reputation makes out, yes there are dodgy bits but what big city doesn't. If you've got half an ounce of common sense you'll never get in any bother (Unless your really unlucky) and have a great time in one of the friendliest cities you'll ever go to, full of people who know how to have a great time (And the shopping is easily the best outside London in the UK).

Though I'd listen to him on the Old firm thing, best to be a wee bit careful what colours you're wearing on a match day unless you're with a bunch of similarily dressed fans ...
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                  X