• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone working in Glasgow?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its even worse for me - I work in Motherwell (my home is in Edinburgh). Motherwell to Glasgow is about 15 minutes - might be able to meet up for a beer or 3 some time....

Glasgow is good for live music, Edinburgh is better for the arts and is more upmarket, but even so, ive been assaulted 3 times in 2 years here.

Tip1: DO NOT MENTION FOOTBALL.

Tip2: Make sure you can drink like a fish as most of your social life will involve alcohol.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
      Its even worse for me - I work in Motherwell (my home is in Edinburgh). Motherwell to Glasgow is about 15 minutes - might be able to meet up for a beer or 3 some time....

Glasgow is good for live music, Edinburgh is better for the arts and is more upmarket, but even so, ive been assaulted 3 times in 2 years here.

Tip1: DO NOT MENTION FOOTBALL.

Tip2: Make sure you can drink like a fish as most of your social life will involve alcohol.
      Aye McQ

If you dont mention Football then you run the risk of getting a kicking for being a poof.

Best to say you are a Hamilton Accies Man, I will take you to the Douglas Park Temple of Football Excellence on a dreary cold wet Saturday afternoon, if you are interested.

PS McQ I know Motherwell, worked in Ravenscraig Steel Works for my sins in 79 as a labourer whilst they were refurbishing the Coke Ovens.(Thats not Coke as in Cocaine folks.)

I remember being asked where I was from, when I told them I was from Hamilton the reply was

Hamilton ?

Theyre all poofs and office workers there son.

For once , I was lost for a suitable riposte.

We had it tough ...
      Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 6 December 2005, 10:57.

Comment

>Its even worse for me - I work in Motherwell

I keep getting approaches for a role (or several) in Motherwell, and it didn't strike me as one of the more glamorous contractor locations.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Alfie, I worked with a guy who lost a couple of fingers at Ravenscraig Steel Works. While he was waiting to be taken to hospital the rest of the lads on his shift were divying up his overtime...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
            Alfie, I worked with a guy who lost a couple of fingers at Ravenscraig Steel Works. While he was waiting to be taken to hospital the rest of the lads on his shift were divying up his overtime...

Firing the Furnace

Well its an ill wind .. during my year there one of my workmates lost an eye when an explosion occured near the by products plant.

Shortly after there were two deaths on the night shift , two workers were renovating the inside of a massive Industrial Pipe which connected the Coke Ovens to the Blast Furnace .

Unfortunately one of the guys in production control made an error and released the wrong valve, releasing a lethal volume of Carbon Monoxide at scorching temperatures down the wrong pipe.

The upshot being the poor guys suffocated, a pretty horrendous night that was.

Now then boys and girls, anybody still think that their office job is so awful ?

Heres a wee pic of inside Ravenscraig, had a nice day at the furnace dear ?

"Don't let the sun go down,"
            said the man with the fire, firing the
            furnace

"I've been buried in the snow
            and I keep on firing, keep on firing,
            firing the furnace."

"Don't talk to me",
            said the man with the chisel, chiseling the
            surface

"I've been sleeping far too long,
            and I keep on chiseling, keep on chiseling, keep on chiseling
            chiseling the surface."

"I don't know what you mean",
            said the man with the shovel, shoveling
            the ashes,

"I've been diggin in the frozen ground,
            and I keep on shoveling, keep on shoveling, keep on shoveling,
            shoveling the ashes

"Oh please, don't sell me out",
            said the man with the hammer,
            hammering the anvil

"I've been walking on the road of rocks
            and I keep on hammering, Keep on hammering, keep on hammering
            hammering the anvil."

I got to keep on

Chiseling the surface,
            Firing the furnace,
            Hammering the anvil

Firing the Furnace
            Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 6 December 2005, 14:27.

Comment

Are all scottish girls - b1tches from hell?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                The short answer is yes.

The exception being my Mother, naturally.

Alfie !

Yes Mother ?

Stop posting that nonsense and get on with your officejob , like a good boy.

Yes Mother.
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 6 December 2005, 14:40.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  What do you expect when blokes wear skirts!

Comment

I reckon it's a proof of evolution (where's Chico?) or at least selection.

Scotland was ravaged by vikings over centuries, taking all the good-looking girls back home.

Proof #1 look at Scandanavian women.
                    Proof # 2 look at Scottish women.

Comment

I was under the impression that vikings primarily trashed England and Wales - its way too far to Scotland.

Comment

Working...
                      X