• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Canary Warf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canary Warf

Just wondering, but if I had to work in Canary Warf, given that I live near Manchester, what (besides moving house) would be the best way to commute?

There are no Manchester to city airport flights. There are flights to Gatwick but that's a fair distance away. Have any of the other flat cap wearing dripping butty eaters amongst us done a similar journey? I don't really fancy a drive to Canary Warf!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Private helicopter would be the best way to commute, unless you have a restriction on commuting costs?

Comment

Wharf

Our office is at the Wharf, albeit not birdy one...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        Just wondering, but if I had to work in Canary Warf, given that I live near Manchester, what (besides moving house) would be the best way to commute?

There are no Manchester to city airport flights. There are flights to Gatwick but that's a fair distance away. Have any of the other flat cap wearing dripping butty eaters amongst us done a similar journey? I don't really fancy a drive to Canary Warf!
        First class Piccadilly to Euston then slum it on the Tube/DLR

I got the flight to London City when it was still running, I think it stopped about a year ago. Was a fantastic service, shame it's been scrapped.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

get a cheap room in West London, travel down on sunday, back on thursday or friday
          tube in every morning.

If you want to travel every day, m40 into uxbridge, park at station, tube in and back

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

After 15 years of track and train upgrades the West Coast main line is now actually quick enough to compete with flying, when you factor in all the mucking about at both ends of a flight. Train into Euston, then tube via Waterloo will get you across town in under 40 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              get a cheap room in West London, travel down on sunday, back on thursday or friday
              tube in every morning.

If you want to travel every day, m40 into uxbridge, park at station, tube in and back

Spent a lot of time in Uxbridge over the years and done the M40 plenty of times. Wouldn't fancy commuting from uxbridge to CW on a daily basis. Although I have a place to stay on the west side of London - shame my ultimate destinatio n would be the east side!
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Spent a lot of time in Uxbridge over the years and done the M40 plenty of times. Wouldn't fancy commuting from uxbridge to CW on a daily basis. Although I have a place to stay on the west side of London - shame my ultimate destinatio n would be the east side!
                I know, its a bummer from Manchester. I cant use the train either because there is no handy station from where I live. If it were me working in CW, I would rent a cheap room in west London , drive down and tube it

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Can you fly to Stanstead easily?

You can get the train to Stratford, then Jubilee Line.

Whatever way you go, it's a hell of a trek to do daily.

This is the map you need anyway...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-zones-Map.pdf
                  Last edited by Moscow Mule; 8 December 2009, 14:40. Reason: Helpful map
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Don't rule out Gatwick, internal flight about £30- £45 one way on BA with breakfast, takes 50 mins. Manchester terminal 3 processes very quickly, so can turn up 30 mins before the flight, first flight on a monday would get you down for about 7:30. Gatwick express to London Bridge 30 mins (run every 15 mins), 10 mins on the tube. If you are a tight wad you could get the cheaper national rail service, a bit slower but about a third of the cost. You could be at your desk for 9. Reverse journey is not so bad either.
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 8 December 2009, 14:43.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X