• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which wine with xmas lunch please?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends what you're having for your dinner. If it's turkey with all the trimmings, i.e. sausage meat, chipolatas etc I'd go for a full bodied red.

I've got a nice bottle of Cune Reserva 2005 which I brought back from Spain & much to my chagrin I see you can get it in Waitrose at half the price I paid.

Link

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      Tell him, Cailin, tell him!

It's gotta be pinkaholic for Xmas.
      Mad Dog 20/20 Strawberry flavour?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        top tip for wine buyers

go to lidl anywhere and buy the most expensive wines
        FTFY

A few years back a relative bought a dozen bottles of wine at random in Lidl for a barbecue - he knows nothing about the stuff. I immediately squirreled away half of them for him for special occasions & Xmas.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          Tell him, Cailin, tell him!

It's gotta be pinkaholic for Xmas.
          WHS... Pinkaholic rules

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Mad Dog 20/20 Strawberry flavour?
          If it's pink, it'll do
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

For a white I would go with a White Hermitage:

http://www.uncorked.co.uk/search/det...oduct=CVJHW04A

For a red with Turkey I would go with a Burgundy, probably a premier cru Givry or a Gevrey-Chambertin but that's just my personal taste.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

my winestore (can't call it a cellar as we don't have a cellar)

is low on French reds

we've a lot of german whites especially reislings and mosels, including particular schwarz reislings which are excellent

lot of italian reds, spanish reds, new world australian and chilean

but definately, the french are not well represented, will have to sort that out and rectify the situation

have been very surprised by the vast selection of quality wines at the local makro !

Milan.

Comment

I always love Chianti Classico on Christmas day (normally doesn't give you a hang over).

Comment

I like Brunello di Montalcino, not sure I'd want to spoil it by having it with food though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    For a white I would go with a White Hermitage:

http://www.uncorked.co.uk/search/det...oduct=CVJHW04A

For a red with Turkey I would go with a Burgundy, probably a premier cru Givry or a Gevrey-Chambertin but that's just my personal taste.
                    Burgundy is always a good call especially with Turkey, or puligny montrachet if you're going for white.

Cloudy bay - good call but will not go with turkey and all the trimmings, very good with seafood canapes, but will get overpowered by everything in the main course.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

sablet et rasteau,
                      crozes-hermitage et grillet,
                      condrieu et rotie,
                      gigondas et cabardes
                      etc etc

- to the tune of these are a few of my favourite things

Comment

Working...
                      X