• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long and how many applied for?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a bizarre one today where I was told that the client had looked at my code and I don't code in the way that they do, so they didn't want to interview me.

This is all without me ever speaking to the client at all.

I do have a couple of sample site links on my CV, but at least two of them are longstanding, large corporate sites which I only worked on certain parts of, which I would discuss and demonstrate in an interview if required. And the other one is really quite cutting edge at the moment (I would say) and followed very strict coding practises laid down by the client.

I'm not quite sure what this client was actually looking at, or how they figured out what bits I'd coded, but I do know that I'm quite happy not to be working for anyone who sifts potential candidates in that way.

(Or the feedback could have been completely made up by the agent, but I couldn't possibly comment.)

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      I had a bizarre one today where I was told that the client had looked at my code and I don't code in the way that they do, so they didn't want to interview me.

This is all without me ever speaking to the client at all.

I do have a couple of sample site links on my CV, but at least two of them are longstanding, large corporate sites which I only worked on certain parts of, which I would discuss and demonstrate in an interview if required. And the other one is really quite cutting edge at the moment (I would say) and followed very strict coding practises laid down by the client.

I'm not quite sure what this client was actually looking at, or how they figured out what bits I'd coded, but I do know that I'm quite happy not to be working for anyone who sifts potential candidates in that way.

(Or the feedback could have been completely made up by the agent, but I couldn't possibly comment.)
      I would not provide links on your CV.
      You should give people just enough information to make them want to interview you. Let them ask you to see more.

Adding links could makes you look arrogant or insecure depending on the mood of the agent.

No matter how right you think you are, if it's not working change it.

IMHO
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
        WSS - get to the interview and then show them what you can do, rather than risk them finding another excuse not to interview you.

My last contract I ended up sidelined because the other developer in the team didn't like the way I used the ANSI join syntax and capitalized reserved words in my code....
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Every single time I have sent my CV in this year I have had an interview and every interview I have had has resulted in a contract offer. 0,0,0 - 100% record. Beat that!
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Adding links could makes you look arrogant or insecure depending on the mood of the agent.

No matter how right you think you are, if it's not working change it.

IMHO
            Yeah, difficult one. I added them originally because I was constantly being asked to provide links on my CV - i.e. the original CV wasn't working, so I changed it.

The story above is the only time I've had such feedback. If it was a common response then, believe me, I'd dump the sample sites like a shot, but a lot of the time clients say they've looked at them and would like to discuss them with me.

Comment

Yeah, difficult one. I added them originally because I was constantly being asked to provide links on my CV - i.e. the original CV wasn't working, so I changed it.

The story above is the only time I've had such feedback. If it was a common response then, believe me, I'd dump the sample sites like a shot, but a lot of the time clients say they've looked at them and would like to discuss them with me.
              I think there is a big difference what I would show Clients and agents. In this case the CV with links was sent to agents.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I think there is a big difference what I would show Clients and agents. In this case the CV with links was sent to agents.
                Sorry, in what case? I thought we were discussing my story about the client looking at my links and somehow deciding that the code didn't match what they wanted. What's that got to do with sending links to agents? I don't have a separate CV which I send to agents. Is that common practice?

Comment

Sorry, in what case? I thought we were discussing my story about the client looking at my links and somehow deciding that the code didn't match what they wanted. What's that got to do with sending links to agents? I don't have a separate CV which I send to agents. Is that common practice?
                  My guess is the feedback was from the agent. Yes, I have multi versions of my CV.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

My guess is the feedback was from the agent. Yes, I have multi versions of my CV.
                    Yeah, it could well be feedback from the agent, but equally I come across agents that won't deal with contractors who don't provide links, and this one did specifically want links. The client is apparently notorious for looking at hundreds of applicants before taking anyone on (from what I've gleaned from other agents advertising the same role, which has been on Jobserve for weeks now, possibly months).

I do have a few different versions of my CV too, depending on roles being applied for and that, but I'm not sure how you get around the agent seeing it? They sit in the middle and send the CV to the client. Unless you give a different CV to the client when you get to the interview?

Whatever, I've found having links on my CV to be more of a benefit than a drawback. So far at least.

Comment

Working...
                    X