• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody vandal kids

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought I'd join in the moan even though I'm a newbie (at least in the posting sense). Got back from the pub a couple of Saturdays back to find half a concrete block (type used for cavity walls) sitting on the bonnet of the gf's Golf. Caused a nice dent but thankfully the windscreen was still intact. I'm sure back in the day (mid '80s) even the roughest kids at school wouldn't have done this sort of thing. Where's the entertainment value anyway? This is the reason I hold onto my old Land Rover which is probably one of the few vehicles that looks better with the odd dent.
    Last edited by The_Equalizer; 29 November 2009, 20:12.

Comment

Mate of mine was driving down the M54 a couple of years ago and someone threw a brick from one of the bridges which hit his windscreen, luckily not the middle of it. Nearly caused him to crash and he was very shook up afterwards. I swear he would have ripped their throats out if he had caught them - not that he could being on the motorway. Forgot about that one till you mentioned bricks.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
        Mate of mine was driving down the M54
        My local (motorway)
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          My local (motorway)
          He was from Telford and was visiting me in Brum.

I think you will agree that the M54 is a fast road when not busy.
          Last edited by conned tractor; 29 November 2009, 20:42.

Comment

Mate of mine was driving down the M54 a couple of years ago and someone threw a brick from one of the bridges which hit his windscreen, luckily not the middle of it. Nearly caused him to crash and he was very shook up afterwards. I swear he would have ripped their throats out if he had caught them - not that he could being on the motorway. Forgot about that one till you mentioned bricks.
            Ah the old bricks off a bridge number. It's always been a bit of a favourite in Belfast that one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/2270547.stm
            http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3768635.stm
            http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6069010.stm

Comment

He was from Telford and was visiting me in Brum.

I think you will agree that the M54 is a fast road when not busy.
              Bit of an odd motorway really...
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

When I were a lad working on the railway there were a few little darlings that used to hang bricks using fishing line over the bridges in front of the 125s. Remember being told to look out for them, and the other little terrorist things they got up to.

If you remember when the 125s first went into service there were lots of stories of broken, blown out windows. Turned out many were caused by half bricks being thrown at the trains as they passed.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Find the biggest lad in the area and recruit him into your "security business". Chances are he'll know the kids doing the damage, or he is the one doing it. He'll get known as a hired thug which will do his street cred no end of good - and you'll get known as someone who has hired thugs at his disposal. It's a win/win situation All for the modest sum of £20 per week. You can even branch out into the loan shark business once you have your collectors on board.
                  A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Comment

Makes me please I stick with my 9 year old peugeot. Got a reconditioned engine 2 years ago so hope there are many more years with it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                      I'm sure back in the day (mid '80s) even the roughest kids at school wouldn't have done this sort of thing.
                      Early/mid 80s kids used to break off car aerials and scratch the side of the car with them. Remember all the cars driving around with bent coathangers where there aerial had been snapped? I don't think things are so much different now than then.

Comment

Working...
                      X