• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Climategate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    With AGW all we get is apocalyptic and blood curdling warnings and solutions that may not be very green at all.
    I am normally very good at online research and can usually get to the root arguments of a subject quite quickly, then find peer-reviewed evidence to support one side more than the other.

I bowed out of having an opinion on the global warming thing ages ago as there is so much vested interest out there confusing the science and poor work being incorrectly reported as 'proof' or even 'evidence'.

I worry that HAB is right; the arts-graduate meedja are going to use this to debunk science even more and make society even worse than it already is as a consequence.

This ongoing dumbing down of the population could end up killing millions.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      I am normally very good at online research and can usually get to the root arguments of a subject quite quickly, then find peer-reviewed evidence to support one side more than the other.

I bowed out of having an opinion on the global warming thing ages ago as there is so much vested interest out there confusing the science and poor work being incorrectly reported as 'proof' or even 'evidence'.

I worry that HAB is right; the arts-graduate meedja are going to use this to debunk science even more and make society even worse than it already is as a consequence.

This ongoing dumbing down of the population could end up killing millions.
      The nice thing about being a sceptic is that you are not saying 'there is no AGW', you are saying 'Please convince me'

They are not going to convince me with spin, hype or insults,
      being painted as a holocaust denier is not doing their cause any good at all

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Big brother censors google

Linky

A fantastic article written by Christopher Brooker of the London Telegraph exposing the climate change fraud rocketed to the very top of a Google News search for “global warming,” only to disappear hours later.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          I also found this on there.

BBC bias??
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

He's a known loony:
            Via his long-running column in the UK's Sunday Telegraph, Booker has claimed that man-made global warming was "disproved" in 2008[1], that white asbestos is "chemically identical to talcum powder" and poses a "non-existent risk" to human health[2], that "scientific evidence to support [the] belief that inhaling other people's smoke causes cancer simply does not exist"[3] and that there is "no proof that BSE causes CJD in humans"[4]. He has also defended the theory of Intelligent Design, maintaining that Darwinians "rest their case on nothing more than blind faith and unexamined a priori assumptions".[5]
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Booker

Comment

So, in conclusion ....

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

...some people on here believe journalists more than they do scientists.
                Post links to articles that have been seized on by creationists and
                this is despite the fact that without science we wouldn't have this forum to voice our little opinions, instead we'd be sat in the dark going "Ugg". It's the way forward, apparently.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

In conclusion both sides probably have ulterior motives and likely will be cashing in. Best not to believe climate change exists or not exists. I think that's the idea I will push when my book and DVD's come out; telling people not to be pulled in by either side of the debate.

Comment

Two more contradictory snippets:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8387137.stm

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225700046908

I'm going right off the BBC of late.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

So, in conclusion ....

There is no shame in taking the 'I am just not sure' position.
                      Watch out for emotive language and blood curdling warnings.

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X