• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Qt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Of course it can be. We have a whole bunch of predictions that can be tested by observation, all we have to do is wait.

In fact some of them have already proven to be false.

I meant within the working life of the scientists involved. It's more the self serving career I was trying to get at.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      I meant within the working life of the scientists involved. It's more the self serving career I was trying to get at.
      Al Gore is on record as saying the the North Pole will be ice free in seven years. He made that prediction three years ago IIRC, now I know he aint a scientist but he is the cheer leader for the whole scam.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        Al Gore is on record as saying the the North Pole will be ice free in seven years. He made that prediction three years ago IIRC, now I know he aint a scientist but he is the cheer leader for the whole scam.

Well, that was a bit silly of him, but it helped sell the movie, so on the other hand maybe not. I think most of these AGW people are saying something like 30 years. Long enough for them to continue to scam^H^H^H^H receive funding up until retirement.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I did my first degree in environmental science & ISTR being told that the "Greenhouse Effect", as it was known back then, could not be explained statistically until the average global temperture had changed by +/- 0.5 degrees from some historical mean temperature. According to the lecturer at the time (late 80s) this increase of 0.5% wasn't going to happen for another 50 years or so. Of course, even if that increase has already occurred, it doesn't mean that it's down to the activities of humans but just that it is probably due to something other than randomness. I was crap at statistics....

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            There was brave man on question time last night, he dared to suggest that the argument behind AGW was possibly wrong?

The audience seethed in disgust, one red faced woman said "how can you say that, what about Cockermouth?" They cheered.

A journo said it was a scam, a comedian said he'd been to see the polar bears and was most definitely not a scam, a politician said he didn't know.

Today world leader will meet to discuss how they can stiff us for more cash and keep this farce going.
            To be fair Melanie Phillips made a bit of a t1t of herself. The climate is warming, whether man is influencing it is the debate. I do agree that the issue is being hyjacked for other puposes but She confused the issue by denying the planet was warming and hence made herself appear stupid. I really wish journalists would get a better understanding of science before they misreport it, MMR springs to mind.

I'm pretty much with David Davis on this one the debate on man's influence should still be open, even if the evidence is pretty compeling.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              The climate is warming, whether man is influencing it is the debate. I do agree that the issue is being hyjacked for other puposes but She confused the issue by denying the planet was warming and hence made herself appear stupid.
              What nobody put to Marcus Brigstock, is if what he was saying was true and that the planet hadn't stopped warming for the last 10 years as has been widly reported, then why did one of the leaked emails say "it's a travesty that we can't explain the lack of warming?".

What do you and Brigstock know that the climatologists don't, and don't you think you should share your information with the experts?
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I was very impressed with Brigstocke. I've only ever seen him wearing a yellow courdroy suit telling gags. He wiped the floor with most of the panel.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  What nobody put to Marcus Brigstock, is if what he was saying was true and that the planet hadn't stopped warming for the last 10 years as has been widly reported, then why did one of the leaked emails say "it's a travesty that we can't explain the lack of warming?".

What do you and Brigstock know that the climatologists don't, and don't you think you should share your information with the experts?
                  When did I say I agree with Marcus Brigstock? The concensus is there is a trend toward a warming of the climate. This doesn't have to mean a linear trend.

What the media choses to highlight is often irrelevant, they highlight information which backs their agenda and ignore what doesn't. If you're trying to model some sort effect there will always be data that doesn't fit the model perfectly, often scientists can't get their head around that, there may also be factors not taken into consideration.

Overal though; Scientists or journalists, who knows best? My money isn't with the ones who flunked science.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    I believe Cockermouth had higher than average rainfall in a short period of time, but nevertheless building on flood planes and creating efficient drainage systems that push water all at once into rivers must play a huge contributory role too. Its surprising how much water soil and vegetation hold, as anyone who has tried to dry washed lettuce will be able to confirm.
                    Hmm...

Cockermouth Fellow: We're getting flooded
                    Timberwolf: That's because you live on a floodplain, dummy
                    CF: We're getting flooded much more than we used to
                    T: Yes, because of the flood plain
                    CF: I think the floodplain was there before the flooding got worse...
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Events like the cockermouth flooding are going to happen from time to time.
                      On one of the BBC blogs they showed the peak year on year rain fall for cockermouth. It was consistanly higher 100 years ago
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X