• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1% of people in Britain have 70% of the country's wealth

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eat the Rich
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Most of Australia is swampland? Bloody hell! this climate change is sure hitting hard. Sounds like heaven anyway, miles of wilderness full of nice little snake and spiders, no stinky people.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

This would never have happened under the tories.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          Who would want to own a majority of Australia?
          King George III
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            The rich are not stupid. Who would want to own a majority of Australia. Most of it is snake and crocodile infested swampland, and the rest is made up of a few crummy houses surrounded by tin fences.
            it's mostly desert you fool.

1% of the country is worth having, and its occupied by 70% of the people

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The 20:80 ratio of 20% of the population owning 80% of the wealth has been around for centuries.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                The 1% must be very pleased with themselves.

I think a good chunk of that 1% will have descended from landed gentry, so they have done a particularly good job to have preserved and then expanded their share of the pot.

Yes, and much of the land taken away from the common folk and given to the Gentry. This practice still existed in the 1920s and 30s until the 50s Huge chunks of common land were given away as rewards. The land became very valuable building land from the 1950s onwards. People were evicted from there former homes on former common land in the 1950s when the land came into private ownership.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  The 20:80 ratio of 20% of the population owning 80% of the wealth has been around for centuries.
                  Pareto Principle.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    Thats the one
                    I should remember it, I've had to build pareto reports a few times in the past
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Much of the disparity is a residual effect of William the Conqueror's monkeysphere
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X