• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone worried about the Hadron Collider reboot ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems a no brainer to me.

On one hand, there is an incredibly small chance that we create anti-matter, or a black hole, or some other freak accident and blow the world, or even the universe up.

On the other hands, there are considerably more chances that we advance the knowledge of Physics / Astrophysics, with potential benefits to mankind.

If the first scenario, however remote, did occur, then it's a bit more interesting that slipping off in the comfy chair in a nursing home, drenched in your own urine and vomit, moaning about the bruises the care assistants gave you for asking for an extra blanket in your cold room.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Has anyone considered the possibility that it could create a money black hole? A self-sustaining chain reaction that sucks out all the world's money, consuming bank after bank and ravishing peoples pensions and savings?
      That`s already happened.......but Gordon would save us

Comment

The world is more likely to end if Labour is still in power in July. They pose a greater danger of mass destruction of life than, AGW, black holes from CERN, lack of sunspots, or even GRB from WR 104 put together.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          The world is more likely to end if Labour is still in power in July. They pose a greater danger of mass destruction of life than, AGW, black holes from CERN, lack of sunspots, or even GRB from WR 104 put together.
          That's not going to happen.

Some people think that if the economy starts to get better then people will believe Gordon has saved them. But they overlook the fact that Gordon has claimed that the UK is well placed to move out of recession but the UK is the only OECD country that hasn't already.

Why has noone picked this up yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            That's not going to happen.

Some people think that if the economy starts to get better then people will believe Gordon has saved them. But they overlook the fact that Gordon has claimed that the UK is well placed to move out of recession but the UK is the only OECD country that hasn't already.

Why has noone picked this up yet?
            The economyu got worse? But Saint Gordon the Prudent promised, nay, fortold that Britain has put the era of boom and bust behind it
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Labour will win the next election.

Invest in vaseline chaps.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Being worried about the LHC causing the end of the world is up there with worrying that eating pork will give you swine flu. An opinion I actually heard put forth in the office a couple of months ago
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Some bloke in the pub last night was pontificating about the Collider. He reckoned that if it went wrong I might be sucked to extinction.

C'mon CERN

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    Some bloke in the pub last night was pontificating about the Collider. He reckoned that if it went wrong I might be sucked to extinction.

C'mon CERN

I'm already here, I work for the NHS
                    Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
                      I'm already here, I work for the NHS
                      You can get sucked into extinction free on the NHS? Sign me up!

Comment

Working...
                      X