• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taxman killing competition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Presumably agency want you on 'their' payroll?
    Yep. And the trouble is, I´m tied to that agency for this client as I worked at that client less than a year ago via this agent. Could solve it by phoning another agent, but then the competition clause hits home.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Yep. And the trouble is, I´m tied to that agency for this client as I worked at that client less than a year ago via this agent. Could solve it by phoning another agent, but then the competition clause hits home.
      change your name and phone the other agent?
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

change your name and phone the other agent?
        Change my profession might be easier. IT´s fuqqed at this rate.

Comment

NEWS. I asked agent...
          I think I've spotted the problem...

You know that an agent will tell you any old crap to get you to shut up.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I think I've spotted the problem...

You know that an agent will tell you any old crap to get you to shut up.
            Yep, but an agent who says that Dutch firms and English firms are not allowed to do business with each other is pushing it a bit.

Comment

So why didn't you go round to his office and explain matters.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Maybe the agent has worked out that by still charging you out at the same rate, but paying you less, he/she/it stands to make a better margin?
                Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Agent called and said that a contract at a bank can only be done 'on payroll' because they've had a visit from the taxman and the role is not for a predefined project; that means effectively that I would earn half my rate and have no means to subtract business costs from tax. I know this is going on all over the EU now, and it's f**&*(^(*king scandalous. Effectively the tax authorities are impeding competition by ensuring the job's only profitable for people who live nextdoor to clientco; this is supposed to be 'free trade and competition'.
                  Did we do the Queen's Speech?

This one leapt out at me:

My Government will legislate to provide agency workers with the right to be treated equally with permanent staff on pay, holidays and other basic conditions.
                  Yep, it's in there right after abolishing child poverty and before constitutional reform
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    Yep, it's in there right after abolishing liberty
                    FTFY

Comment

Presumably agency want you on 'their' payroll?
                      Oh that old scam. Name and shame the agency.

I'm sure it's fraud really, but they continue to get away with it.
                      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X