• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors told that we are going to be offered permie roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends what's on offer I guess.

I don't really have much choice, the market is poo, the job is technically easy, it's 10 mins drive from home, and it fits in very well with my MS due to the nature of the work.

Plus I suppose there are holidays to look forward to again, paid sick, etc.

On the face of it, I'm just grumbling, when there are others who don't have a job at all.

I'll shut up and be thankful, as they like to remind us contractors on site.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      Then have a good sit and think about the package.

You want 6 weeks leave a year (because you are accustomed to, what, 15?).

You want 5 days' technical training per year.

x% non-contributory pension.

A severance package: 20% of salary if they dismiss you in under 2 years.

etc.

(It's been that long that I cannot remember what goes into a permie package!)

They'll shaft you on the salary so try to shaft them on the benefits.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Make sure you phone in sick on day 1.

When you do eventually go back in offer to start a union.

Comment

Remember to sign up for loads of committees etc....

I knew someone who came in and volunteered for all staff council / 'green' compliance / H&S etc etc committees - didn't actually do anything productive and got a very good annual increase on the strength of it....

He was also one of the last out when the subsiduary finally slipped beneath the waves...

Good luck.... as long as it takes you closer to where you want to be...

Comment

Depends what's on offer I guess.

I don't really have much choice, the market is poo, the job is technically easy, it's 10 mins drive from home, and it fits in very well with my MS due to the nature of the work.

On the face of it, I'm just grumbling, when there are others who don't have a job at all.

I'll shut up and be thankful, as they like to remind us contractors on site.
            My old boss was offered a permie role, booked the next flight to New Zeland as soon as the current contract ended. Couldn't get away quick enough
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

hold on a minute! When did it change from "offered" to an ultimatum?

Comment

I've been offered a permie job at all my gigs. I did it once - never again <shudders>.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

1. You want 6 weeks leave a year (because you are accustomed to, what, 15?).
                  2. You want 5 days' technical training per year.
                  3. x% non-contributory pension.
                  4. A severance package: 20% of salary if they dismiss you in under 2 years.

1. I take, on average 15 days a year. Any more and it hits the take home too much.

2. Training for what precisely ? The job is the same today as it was 4 years ago, apart from the quantity of work has increased. Tell a lie. We have rolled out some new software in to the live environments and by the time I fixed the bugs, I learnt enough to support it . The clients systems went down a few times but that's par for the course.

3. At my age, I'd need to save 5 times my salary a month to even make a difference. Can't afford a pension.

4. Not sure that would go down to well.
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

4. Not sure that would go down to well.
                    Of course not, what they want is a contractor on the cheap, and this is a polite way of saying don't kid a kidder.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

You want 6 weeks leave a year (because you are accustomed to, what, 15?).

You want 5 days' technical training per year.

x% non-contributory pension.

A severance package: 20% of salary if they dismiss you in under 2 years.

etc.

(It's been that long that I cannot remember what goes into a permie package!)

Severance package + pension is good - if you can get it in writing. Less room for them to wriggle out of it.

Training - they'll lie to you and promise you the earth and what you'll end up is one afternoon of diversity training per year.

Probably best tactic is to say something like:

"Of course I'd love to go permie at your lovely company, it's just that right now I can't <insert some excuse, e.g. tax bill, company year end, etc.> but in 6 months I'd be able to."

Rinse and repeat.

Comment

Working...
                      X