• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has CGI ruined cinema?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I wouldn't say it has.
    The problem with the last Star Wars film was a dodgy plot and piss-poor acting.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      No, I wouldn't say it has.
      The problem with the last Star Wars film was a dodgy plot and piss-poor acting.
      I refer the honourable lady to the reply I gave some moments ago.

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      FWIW, the last Star Wars was a cartoon. They generally have a lot of CGI in them these days.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        I refer the honourable lady to the reply I gave some moments ago.
        Ooh! Get 'er
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Didn't the last Bond film go back to non-CGI basics? With stunt men, special effects and all that?

If so it had some great parkour, and I'd enjoy that more than actors running about on empty blue sets.

Comment

If the CGI is applied in the right way and hidden enough so it's not glaringly obvious, then it's not so bad.

Come back Ray Harryhausen all is forgiven

And to add to bad plot and p!ss poor acting wall of fame the latest tripe from the indiana jones stable.

And yes, it has been a poor year for film.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

True it's been a fairly pants year for film, but I did enjoy Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince which has heaps of CGI, but it fits well.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
                Cr@p adaptation of a good book. Cuts loads out from the book, to include a load of irrelevant stuff that adds nothing to the story (or else it would have been in the book).

Better than Order of the Phoenix, though, which is a cr@p adaptation of a cr@p book.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The Missus & I sat through John le Carré's "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold" in July and were utterly engrossed.

Sat there in silence, staring immobile into the middle distance; the imagery was fantastic. The encounters, the court room scenes, the events at the Berlin Wall: fantastic stuff.

But that was radio where the pictures are always better.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    I caught the last Die Hard on TV the other week, Was expecting some mindless nonesense that would be mildly entertaining. In the previous films, they were a bit daft but within the realms of possibility. Many of the films relying on stunt men with a few special effects. However, the latest film used so much CGI it was almost like watching a Tom and Jerry cartoon. It seems Mr Willis doesn't die hard these days more that he is an indestructable super human. He can jump onto a fighter Jet and jump off as it's crashing, he can get alsorts of heavy machinery thrown at him and remain unscathed.

There was this one time, I was flying my fighter with some food on my lap, and this idiot right, well, he just came out of nowhere

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                      Come back Ray Harryhausen all is forgiven
                      Now you're talking. That Talos was terrifying to a young lad.

Comment

Working...
                      X