• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you tell your 16yo self?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    And you will be right about that gay in the albion, he does intend to do it, so get the ead in first
    FTFY
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Don't do IT, do something like law instead.
      Don't smoke.

Wouldn't change anything else.
      Agreed.

There is a significant lack of people with legal qualifications that have even the smallest clue about IT, and those that have are cleaning up for very little effort.

threaded in "did a little more than OU W100" mode.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Don't worry, when you reach 39, you will still have a decent amount of hair.

Rhubarb

Comment

Don't wear your sunglasses in the dark.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I'd say mate, you are in for one hell of a ride. Don't worry about the first divorce, cause it gets even better from then on in...

PS That mad girl on the ****** project. She's got crabs. You have been warned.

Comment

Never turn down sex for moral reasons

And give that Baz Luhrmann song a listen

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
                Never turn down sex
                FTFY
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

There's going to be this thing called Buy To Let in the future.

Fill yer boots!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    She's gagging for it. Get in there mate.
                    WHS^n. Never fear rejection.

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Avoid IT. And if that fails, go contracting earlier.
                    Definitely go contracting earlier.

Technical skills give better job security than supervisory skills so keep them up to date.

When you leave your last permie job, steal the source code of that system. That bastard contractor that works for you is going to steal it in about six months and make a piss-poor job of selling it as his own work.

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
                    Buy that boat - sail more.
                    Do not buy that house that will lose you money and buy that 72' narrowboat you want instead.

Do not work more than 40 hours a week as a permie. They are not even laughing at you behind your back, they simply don't know you're doing it.

Don't take out credit card payment protection insurance - it's a scam.

Don't take out those endownment mortgages just because EVERYONE else is - it's a scam.

When you leave home, take that bicycle with you.

When an agent says in 1999 "I reckon it's all going to go bad next year. But here's a tip: start reading up on IT security now" listen to him. He'll be right. Alternatively, with your asian friend, set up an overseas software house. You might even earn a few quid bringing Indians into the UK one day.

Buy property in the very South West as soon as you can. They are giving it away. Alternatively, buy a couple of boarded-up streets in any Welsh university town (for student accomodation).

Don't worry too much about bad experiences. They tend to pay back later.

PS: Your entire family has high blood pressure but they won't think to tell you.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

be afraid......be very afraid!!!
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X