• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lunch Time Drinking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Yeah I'm not sure the AA has got it right - its more like a religion/cult that labels its adherents alcoholics so they are stained for life - bit like the "original sin" concept of the Catholic church.
    I think its bollocks. It is possible to drink moderately rather than not at all as the AA preaches.
    Not for an alcoholic it's not.

Also they are "stained for life" as you put it, by other peoples preceptions not by what AA does to or for them.
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
      I get off lightly... he would say I'm the one who goes on with myself!
      Pictures?
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure the AA has got it right - its more like a religion/cult that labels its adherents alcoholics so they are stained for life - bit like the "original sin" concept of the Catholic church.
        I think its bollocks. It is possible to drink moderately rather than not at all as the AA preaches.
        With respect, you are confusing being a drinker with being an alcoholic - different species altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Pictures?
          Bazza gets caught

Comment

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              With respect, you are confusing being a drinker with being an alcoholic - different species altogether.
              Whats the difference?
              If you MUST drink you're an alcoholic.
              There are only differences in levels.
              You're only a non-alcoholic if you can take it or leave it.

That uncomfortable truth leaves most heavy drinkers in denial.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Whats the difference?

Indeed - but most people can go out and not drink if they choose not to. Alcoholics can't - it's a struggle every day, to get through that day without a drink and I think your dismissal of AA is a bit off. Surely if it helps them and their families get through it, whats the issue?
                Bazza gets caught

Comment

I think your dismissal of AA is a bit off. Surely if it helps them and their families get through it, whats the issue?
                  maybe, fair enough.
                  I suppose my mate hasn't touched any for years now. I feel I can't have a couple of whiskies with him which makes us drift apart. Sad.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Whats the difference?

The difference between being a drinker and a non-drinker should be obvious, even to you.

maybe, fair enough.
                    I suppose my mate hasn't touched any for years now. I feel I can't have a couple of whiskies with him which makes us drift apart. Sad.
                    Oh, so you need alcohol to be sociable with your mate? It's affecting your relationships?

I'd seek help if I were you mate.

Comment

maybe, fair enough.
                      I mean this in the nicest possible way - it isn't really about you

You feel you can't have a couple of whiskies with him... but he might not even be alive if he hadn't stopped drinking. You could just go for coffee with him or for dinner and just not drink. You can still be his mate without the whiskies.
                      Bazza gets caught

Comment

Working...
                      X