• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AtW gets pwned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Of course if you actually did want to run a grown-up O/S you'd be using one of the *NIX variants, but then your puny .Net application couldn't work I suppose?
    We've got distributed crawler writtein in .NET working on Linux/Mac/FreeBSD

HTH

Comment

The real pros are now using Linux and/or OS X
      Fixed that for you
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        Fixed that for you
        OS X == GBOS

Comment

He got pwned here as well:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...n-ritchie.html
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

AtW got pwned, and still he refuses to accept it.

How many times has this muppet been shown up for talking bollocks about topics he clearly knows nada about?
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Well, since everyone seems to have mistaken my good will for "being pwned":

Ok, TykeMerc, you are not a pro. A pro would skip bad/carp OS iterations, such as (but not limited to) MS DOS 4.0, any Windows before 2.0, Windows ME, Vista.

Windows 7 is apparently better than Vista, however peformance wise it is not substantially better than Windows XP - it may boot faster apparently, not much in my install if at all, in any case I don't spend my time booting it all the time, rather working in it.

http://www.overclockers.com/index.ph...re&Itemid=4264

CBA to look for more links - I vote with my money: we stay on Windows XP Pro 64-bit, all this shiny Aero tulip is for amateurs who think they become pros by installing latest OS.

HTH
              I started my career in IT using all the DOS / Win iterations as well as CPM & UNIX. If I remember rightly I had no choice in the OS's I had to work with, whatever contract I was on at the time determined that. In other words I went where the money was. Does this make me an amateur?

At home (where I work), I mostly use Linux but have XP, Win2000, 2003 & OSX, think there's still a SUN box around as well. I'm not going to get into an argument about pro / am differences, as I said before I use what I'm paid to use.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                I use what I'm paid to use.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Backtracking big time.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                    Backtracking big time.

Comment

The real pros are still on Windows 2000. You loser.
                      64-bit support in Windows 2000 was not good enough for production use, Win XP Pro 64-bit on the other hand (which is Windows 2003 server 64-bit without the name and some unnecessary elements) is perfect: we run it on all our SKA servers that have 48 GB of RAM. This means we don't have to pay ridiculous prices for "Server" build of the OS - in this case "Enterprise Editions" would be necessary, they'd cost I think £1500 per server, we don't have to pay that, as the result it saves a lot of dosh.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X