• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That is it : I am becoming a programmer.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    DEC = licence to print money !
    It was at one time. I came across more than one company who made a lot of money out of competing with their sky high prices.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      I miss BASIC on my ZX spectrum 48k

oh happy days
      BBC BASIC was great because it supported named procedures and functions, and multiline control structures like repeat...until. If you wanted to get your head around Structured Programming (which was still a fairly new concept in the non-computer-scientist realm in those days), it was thoroughly supportive.

Its major failings were that it still used line numbers and didn't support multiline if...then...else... constructs. Still, having to put all your if...then...else... stuff on one line encouraged one to move the action of the then and else clauses into named procedures: another win, if only by dint of working around a limitation, for encouraging the habit of structuring one's code using meaningful names.

And of course, if it hadn't been for BBC BASIC's built-in Assembler, we might never have had Elite, the original version of which was written therewith

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        BBC BASIC was great because it supported named procedures and functions, and multiline control structures like repeat...until. If you wanted to get your head around Structured Programming (which was still a fairly new concept in the non-computer-scientist realm in those days), it was thoroughly supportive.

Its major failings were that it still used line numbers and didn't support multiline if...then...else... constructs. Still, having to put all your if...then...else... stuff on one line encouraged one to move the action of the then and else clauses into named procedures: another win, if only by dint of working around a limitation, for encouraging the habit of structuring one's code using meaningful names.

And of course, if it hadn't been for BBC BASIC's built-in Assembler, we might never have had Elite, the original version of which was written therewith
        I programmed in a language that had loops like a 'begin, while, repeat' . Very useful, and it's often amusing to see how people manage it in other languages.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
        X