• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sold House...now they want to sue me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you keep a spare key anywhere? Or take a spare set anywhere?

Go and sew a prawn into theur curtains while they are out.

Comment

1) Did they not see the certificate for the electric work? If so, should they not have spotted any flaws beforehand?

2) "Do the sinks, baths and showers drain efficiently?" is no the same as "Is the plumbing is A-OK?"

3) Take round you're kid's Argos wardrobe. Pin picture of crying child on front.

HTH

Good luck and keep us posted. I recently sold a property and wondered if there was any comeback on anything. In my case I had to leave some money to cover a service charge bill, and now it appears the bill is bigger than the sum of money retained. I'm thinking "tough tulip", but I hope I'm right!
      Cats are evil.

Comment

IANAL but IAARC

Its Halloween on friday. Get out today and buy a dozen eggs and put them in the airing cupboard. Buy a ghastly ugly mask (the 'DimP' is particulary orrible)

Get yourself round there on Friday night and let em have it. Shouting 'trick 'n treat this you robbing bstard'
        'Have a free standing ripe egg you cnt'

etc

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

They're a couple aged 40ish with young family. Their letters are littered with inaccuracies like problems with electrics in the recently installed kitchen (erm it was installed before I moved in 8 years ago)

The day of completion I got a call from my solicitor to say I was in breach of contract. I’d left 2 railway sleepers, some bricks, a few bags of sand and paving slabs that were used when additional work was done on the house. Now most people would find this handy to use in the future – but to them I hadn’t given them vacant possession. They threatened to bring in someone to clear it and charge it back to me if it wasn’t removed by the end of the day. So….I quickly jumped on a train home and called in with the father in Law to shift the gear.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            IANAL but IAARC

Its Halloween on friday. Get out today and buy a dozen eggs and put them in the airing cupboard. Buy a ghastly ugly mask (the 'DimP' is particulary orrible)

Get yourself round there on Friday night and let em have it. Shouting 'trick 'n treat this you robbing bstard'
            'Have a free standing ripe egg you cnt'

etc

Not a bad idea at all..........

Comment

I think they are trying it on.

Could be quite fun in the small claims court - I say let them take you and fight your corner...
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Going to a solicitor will cost you a fortune. The onus of proof is on them although in civil court a decision will be made on the balance of probabilities.

I think this is just a try on to get money out of you.

I would suggest that you write back with a short letter (do not go in to detail or argue) and deny each accusation and say that any dealing by you with the electrician etc was done in good faith.

You could end the letter with something like “ Your client is making a frivolous and fanciful claim for damages in the hope gaining some sort of refund for the price he paid for the property. If your client takes the view that he wants to go as far as litigation in court I will vigorously defend the action and I will counter claim for damages and costs.”
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Did you sell your house to Wilmslow?

Comment

Whatever happened to Caveat Emptor?

I once bought an old car that had an old coat on the back seat.

When I got it home, I noticed the coat and picked it up and fook me there was hole in the seat about 20 inches across where their dog had ripped it to bits.

I just laughed, not think "WHERE's MY ******* LAWYER".

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Did you sell your house to Wilmslow?
                      He is Wilmslow!

Comment

Working...
                      X