• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sold House...now they want to sue me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    Refer their solicitor to the case of Arkell v. Pressdram.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      Well you might get away with it but it's pretty easy to date the installation due to components used amongst other things. I don't think you can simply get a certificate issued now, part P doesn't work quite that way.
      Yeah, apparently the wiring used has been changed from black/red pre 2005 to green/yellow post 2005 - so anything that is coloured that way and falls into the criteria of needing a certificate - needs one. (Agreed - certain minor things don't need a cert)

Thanks for all the responses - I've sent a mail off to the solicitor outlining the fact that my position stands - I await a response

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Green/yellow?

I think you mean brown and blue.

HTH.
        Maybe its Earth calling?

Comment

My solicitor has sent a response rejecting the claims.

I've done a bit of further digging and lo and behold the guy who’s claiming from me is a director of an Electrics company. Taking into account Caveat Emptor surely he’s in a better position than most to realise where there are electrical problems prior to exchange…or had he already spotted them and thought I could make a few quid out of this….

Comment

A director in an Electrics company might just have got that quote from a mate's firm. Ditto with the plumbing estimate.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              This is not totally correct. The Part P regulations allow the householder or a non certified electrician, to add additional sockets and extensions etc to an existing circuit.

Part P does not allow the householder or non certified electrician to add a new ring circuit (where a cable is run from the consumer unit to a couple of sockets and back to the consumer unit) and therefore new sockets.

If you have run an extension to the garage workshop or shed that does not form a new ring circuit, (even if previously there were no sockets in that location), you do not need to have a Part P certificate for the work so you can tell them to **** off.

Hope this helps.
              A householder or non certified electrician CAN do work covered by Part P if the work is then certified by a certified electrician, or is covered by a building notice.

HTH

Comment

Photoshop or a standard DTP package can easily produce any cert you like....100's of em in fact...

PZZ

Comment

Ah. But did you bleed the radiators?

Comment

Working...
                  X