• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Gordon can win the next election..?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Gordon came to my office last week and gave a very good speech - I have to say, he took a lot of time to research the company, and time to meet and greet.

I honestly see him in a different light now.

Which worries me!
    Was he there for an interview?

Comment

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
      I'll be voting via proxy for the LibDems.

Always struck me growing up how being left or right wing was a more appealing path for many teenagers. A black and white world is easier to understand and defend, for good or ill.

I voted LibDem in '97 but was still relieved the Tories were ousted. But I had not a few arguments with friends who rejoiced in Labour coming to power; couldn't they see the dearth of talent there (Blair excepted, not that I'm a fan) and how much they'd lost with the death of John Smith? Didn't they recognise type of politican Blair was and the people he surrounded himself with? The Ecclestone affair, so early on, set the tone.

The middle ground hasn't been fashionable for years in the UK, but at least I know where I am with regard to civil liberties and unwarranted foreign wars. As for the economy, Cable had Brown's number a few years back. Cameron and Osbourne? In what shape or form are they political heavyweights? Cameron has never achieved anything in private industry; he's another career politician from la-de-dah stock who'll tell you do as I say, not as I do.
      Over the past 12 years the middle ground has been very fashionable in the UK.

Labour moved towards the centre under Tony Blair. After three election defeats, the Tories finally did the same under David Cameron. Since then they have been scrapping to prove who is the most middle-ground, middle-England party.

The Lib Dems, turfed out of the left-of-centre by Tony Blair, sought refuge further left and more or less stayed there with their high tax, more interventionist policies. Vince Cable is certainly admired, and has been proved correct in his warnings to Brown but, to be honest, only a fool would not realise that spending more than you earned during the good times was certain to end in tears during the bad (Brown is a fool.)

David Cameron might well be a toff, but I don't understand why that matters. It might even be an advantage, looking at the performance of non-toffs since the eighties who have led the main two parties: Brown, Major, Kinnock and Foot.

Comment

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
        I'll be voting via proxy for the LibDems.

Always struck me growing up how being left or right wing was a more appealing path for many teenagers. A black and white world is easier to understand and defend, for good or ill.

I voted LibDem in '97 but was still relieved the Tories were ousted. But I had not a few arguments with friends who rejoiced in Labour coming to power; couldn't they see the dearth of talent there (Blair excepted, not that I'm a fan) and how much they'd lost with the death of John Smith? Didn't they recognise type of politican Blair was and the people he surrounded himself with? The Ecclestone affair, so early on, set the tone.

The middle ground hasn't been fashionable for years in the UK, but at least I know where I am with regard to civil liberties and unwarranted foreign wars. As for the economy, Cable had Brown's number a few years back. Cameron and Osbourne? In what shape or form are they political heavyweights? Cameron has never achieved anything in private industry; he's another career politician from la-de-dah stock who'll tell you do as I say, not as I do.

So basically who you vote for is determined by good old "prejudice".
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
          Gordon came to my office last week and gave a very good speech - I have to say, he took a lot of time to research the company, and time to meet and greet.

I honestly see him in a different light now.

Which worries me!
          Ah. You might want to check out what Guido thinks about that. Tip: Get you CV up-to-date.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            So basically who you vote for is determined by good old "prejudice".
            Not at all. I thought I'd made it clear about his lack of credentials with regards to exposure to industry etc. If you'd seen "Dispatches" about Dave C. you'd know he's not been shy to exploit his royal connections on occasion. So the reference is, I believe, relevant.

Doggy S. has made pertinent comments about the public repositioning of parties. But Labour has shown its love for big government and
            regulating peoples' lives is as strong as ever. Hardly the liberal Britain that I want to live in.

Comment

Lisbon treaty ratified by Czechs, Cameron declares that there will be no retrospective referendum resulting in the Tories losing lots of votes to UKIP. Hung parliament?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Yes.
                You can just about get a fag paper between them IMV.

How effective will the next incumbent after the Goon Brown for the next 5-10 years.

If anyone thinks that there will be change, fireworks etc for the next decade, then they need to stand in front of the mirror and repeatedly slap themselves till they come round to reality before they should be trusted with a vote in their hand.

Who voted Liebor in the past and is now slagging them off like a right Royal hippocrate??

Be honest now people!

PZZ

Comment

I forgot to say - better the devil you know eh??

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Dong View Post
                    I was under the impression that the Lib Dems were half-way between Labour and the Tories. Doesn't that make them neutral ground? And how can they be crap if they've never been given the chance?
                    That's the impression they like to give; but in reality many are so far to the left of Labour they're a speck on the horizon.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      Remember that film about the bus wired to explode if it slows below 50 MPH? Well, using that analogy, we're the passengers, and Brown is the manic driver _and_ the guy who wired up the bomb!
                      Someone else agrees:
                      http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7977/runawaybus2.gif (SWF)

Comment

Working...
                      X