• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish winter hideaway

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Stay away from the west coast, the weather will be crap and most stuff will be closed down for the winter anyway, travel can be a nightmare at that time of year as well. The drive to Oban from Glasgow is about 2 1/2 hours but than can turn into 6 if something goes wrong. You won't be getting any views with the rain that comes down there.

Best go up east where it will be dryer and most probably snowing, try Pitlochry where there A9 will always be open and only takes a couple of hours from Glasgow.

I stay in the Moulin Inn hotel a couple of times a year where the bar has 2 fire places, a brewery round the back and the food is good. The bar has won AA and CAMRA best in britain awards. I go walking during the day then drink about 15 pints of their beer when I get back. The rooms ain't amazing but there are a few better hotels in the area within walking distance. I don't really go there to sit in the room though.
    Gotta say I'd disagree with that - for starters chances are on the west coast if it's raining there's a fair chance it's actually gonna be snow at that time of year!

Pitlochery is lovely, but so is the area around Oban, Glencoe etc. I've been up many times in winter and had glorious days (Hill walking, or snowboarding).

And to be honest if you're actually a walker, you should know better than to advise someone to go walking in the highlands, ill prepared people go missing and get lost. In fact at that time of year prepared people go missing and get lost (Some of my mates have, and they've been going since they were teenagers).
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I never advised anyone to go walking anywhere.

It snows much less on the coast due to the salt, i'll put a note in my diary but I bet that it will be raining and windy in Oban during the first week in January.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        I never advised anyone to go walking anywhere.

It snows much less on the coast due to the salt, i'll put a note in my diary but I bet that it will be raining and windy in Oban during the first week in January.
        Sounded like you were.

And yeah it might be, then again it might be dumping down and perfect (At least for part of the day).

Anyway, point being is that I've been there many times in January and it's been absolutely magic. So to see someone ere saying don' go cause it'll be gash kinda rubs the wrong way.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
          Sounded like you were.

And yeah it might be, then again it might be dumping down and perfect (At least for part of the day).

Anyway, point being is that I've been there many times in January and it's been absolutely magic. So to see someone ere saying don' go cause it'll be gash kinda rubs the wrong way.
          But everywhere you go is fanstastic snaw. It's a common theme.

You remind me of http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...illiant270.jpg

Comment

+1 for Perthshire. Also try St fillans, Comrie. Google earth glendevon, trossachs, Loch Tay plenty of cabinny type things around these parts.

Glen Coe is a great shout but a looong drive.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              But everywhere you go is fanstastic snaw. It's a common theme.

You remind me of http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...illiant270.jpg
              Just like everything you spout is complete pish DP ...

You shooting for a twunt of the day award, or you finding it difficult to adjust to darker evenings and lashing out at the world?

Poor wee soul. You remind me of my infant daughter, waaaaa, waaa, pay me attention

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                Just like everything you spout is complete pish DP ...

You shooting for a twunt of the day award, or you finding it difficult to adjust to darker evenings and lashing out at the world?

Poor wee soul. You remind me of my infant daughter, waaaaa, waaa, pay me attention
                Nice try.

1/10

Comment

Top marks DP. On fire today son, 3 coffee-keyboard moments in this thread alone.

Comment

DP is envious of my posh garden office, innit?
                    he's lashing out because he's on the dole and doesn't have a lot of cash to spend.
                    I shopuldn't have rubbed his face in it, I'm sorry.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

How about this place.

Scottish hideaway SFW

Warning - make sure you haven't got your speakers on full in a crowded office.

Comment

Working...
                      X