• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

George Best

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P.S What is with some footballers... 'Roasting' is a term I hadnt heard until mentioned in conjunction with some football team.

Graham Rix - a convicted paedophile on the sex offenders register is now manager of a major league club...

Gary Glitter - not yet convicted of actual sex with a minor, is vilified and chased around the world.

Glitter should have approached a football club - hed be welcomed.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

PHP Code:
      The world is a better place for the likes of Georgehe didnt go around [B]judging others [/B] or trying to tell them how they should lead their lives and nor was he sanctimonious like losers like you tend to be
      DA.....please can I send you a copy of the OED ? I really think your copy has the works "irony" and "hypocrite" missing
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Funnily enough I spent 4.5 years at Oxford University Press - the publishers of the OED back in the days when SGML was the format of choice... very, very talented people worked there. Leofranc Holford Strevens was a odd chappie, but spoke so many languages he was a world authority - I had the opportunity to meet many eminent people, and I actually loved working there..

He used to walk around with his trouser zip undone, and giggle when he stood next to Jane (another tech support analyst at that time) until one day we noticed his zip was done up, and it was due to the fact he had managed to marry someone...

An example of what sort of person he is:

Dithyrambs for Athens | 17 February 2005 [ literature, theory and criticism ]
        Last edited by mcquiggd; 23 November 2005, 01:50.
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
          Leofranc Holford Strevens was a odd chappie, but spoke so many languages he was a world authority - I had the opportunity to meet many eminent people, and I actually loved working there.
          I bet you'd rather talk to him than George Best as well.

MQ, I didn't like George Best the person much either, as far as anyone can know him from TV and news.

But Dodgy is right about him being an icon for millions. He was probably the best player these islands have ever produced and became part of the swinging sixties thing. In that sense, he was part of many people's lives, a bit like Elvis Presley, John Lennon and Muhammed Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
            P.S What is with some footballers... 'Roasting' is a term I hadnt heard until mentioned in conjunction with some football team.
            Money. They feel indestructible.

Rix is not a bad man. He once shagged a 15 year old who was going on 25. There is no comparison with Gary Glitter.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
              I bet you'd rather talk to him than George Best as well.

MQ, I didn't like George Best the person much either, as far as anyone can know him from TV and news.

But Dodgy is right about him being an icon for millions. He was probably the best player these islands have ever produced and became part of the swinging sixties thing. In that sense, he was part of many people's lives, a bit like Elvis Presley, John Lennon and Muhammed Ali.
              What we fail to appreciate is that these people though very talented are human beings with all the frailtiesand weaknesses that the rest of us have. George Best could quite easily have adopted a quieter life (and how many with his skills have done so?) and become a plumber or .Net developer. But they didnt , they chose to go for it. They endure pressures that most of us would not be able to cope with, so why do we expect them to cope?

George Best should be judged on his football skill, and his ability to entertain. To judge him in the context of people described by mcq is irrelevant.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                What we fail to appreciate is that these people though very talented are human beings with all the frailtiesand weaknesses that the rest of us have. George Best could quite easily have adopted a quieter life (and how many with his skills have done so?) and become a plumber or .Net developer. But they didnt , they chose to go for it. They endure pressures that most of us would not be able to cope with, so why do we expect them to cope?
                Good point, many of the most talented people go off the rails. In football alone, look at Gascoigne, Maradona, even Rooney. I believe their tendency to "go for it" is what made them great players in the first place.
                Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                George Best should be judged on his football skill, and his ability to entertain. To judge him in the context of people described by mcq is irrelevant.
                If that were true, then he wouldn't be in the news any more. He is what he is now. Having been a great footballer does not make him a great man.

Comment

I just feel sorry for the family of the liver donater.

What a waste.

Someone else may have had a real chance.

Comment

Originally posted by lORD lUCAN

What a waste.

Ah, there you are Lucan. They've been looking for you.

BTW, it's donor

Comment

?

Originally posted by lORD lUCAN

What a waste.

Yeah, you wonder why they bother transplanting hearts and livers, I mean it's not as if the recipient is going to live for ever is it? What a waste!
                      Why not?

Comment

Working...
                      X