• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear or Doomed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Thank you kind Sir. You are top banana. I was predicting a total drop of 8% so looks like I will be out......
    It possibly has fallen that much. These are government figs and subject to 'correction' so as to make them 'look good'.

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    F***ty, f***ty, f***ty, f***ty, f*** f*** f***.
    Indeed.

Originally posted by centurian View Post
    It ain't over yet... although I doubt it will drop that much. The expected rise in VAT will probably kick start some spending in December that should be enough to push us over the bar.

6% is still a hefty drop though...
    Any extra spending in Dec will be taken from Jan / Feb. There is a story going round that VAT isn't going back to 17.5% either; it may be higher (some say a lot higher). However, I think that these figs may have put that plan on hold. I think they may hatch a plan to defer the rise for another quarter and then raise it to 20% or even 25%. (Maybe to come in just after the election?)
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Any extra spending in Dec will be taken from Jan / Feb.
      True, but if Q4 shows just 0.1% growth (or even 0% flat), then technically the recession is over, even if Q1 2010 goes back into negative growth again.

If growth occurs in Q4, Gordon's best chance is to call an election in March/April, before people realise it's a false dawn, and also before the 2010 tax rises kick in.

VAT isn't going back to 17.5% either; it may be higher (some say a lot higher).
      Didn't the original Treasury plan state this before the spin doctors got hold of it

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        Oh dear (TM)

You mean 33 economists may not have got it right? Shock, horror!

U.K. Economy Unexpectedly Shrinks in Longest Slump
        Pseudo science. They use dice and chicken entrails.

HTH

Comment

"If all the economists in the world were laid end to end, it wouldn't be a bad thing."

Peter Lynch

Comment

Working...
          X