• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Openness and Honesty in a Relationship

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    I have a hidden past, one that I'm not proud of, actually I'm quite ashamed of it. Question is, as I'm now in a serious relationship, should I volunteer that fact? It could mean the end of the relationship.

And no, I'm not going to tell you what it is.
    Two things spring to mind

1.How chuffed will she be when it all comes out and you also have to admit you took advice from a bunch of people, half of whom are known to be clinically insane.

2.Not directed solely at you moose, but how would you react if you discovered that the love of your life used to work as a prostitute in order to get a few quid to pay for a holiday in Spain with her so-called mates.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Drugs
      Prison
      Bankrupt
      Wife beating
      Paedo
      GBH
      Southerner
      National Front
      Sex Change

taken from the first page of my CV

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Probably. Unless you honestly don't believe it is relevant, you will be bugged by it for ages. And of course things tend to get found out.

As it is something they have posted on here to a forum, I think they could be bugged by it for a long while if they don`t come clean.

I would say come clean for your own sanity and peace of mind, and for your partner.If they love you and trust you any problem can be overcome.

It is difficult to give advice without having been in the exact same situation.

If you`re tempted to not tell them, answer some questions to yourself:
        Are they likely to ever find out? Note for example if they applied for Security clearance they could fail it due to your history if that is on police records
        Can you live with not telling them,ever? You may for example be old one day and end up telling them, possibly not intentionally(due to illness). That could be very bad.
        Is your past likely to ever have an impact on your future life/relationships?

Just a few thoughts.
        GOod luck

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Probably. Unless you honestly don't believe it is relevant, you will be bugged by it for ages. And of course things tend to get found out.
          WHS

Definitely.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            Drugs
            Prison
            Bankrupt
            Wife beating
            Paedo
            GBH
            Southerner
            National Front
            Sex Change

You really have led a varied life EO
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
              I have a hidden past, one that I'm not proud of, actually I'm quite ashamed of it. Question is, as I'm now in a serious relationship, should I volunteer that fact? It could mean the end of the relationship.

And no, I'm not going to tell you what it is.
              Let me guess - Your partner is a fanatical leftie, and you were at Eton, Oxford, and the Grenadier Guards?

Edit: Go on, give us a clue
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                You really have led a varied life EO
                it aint over yet

alcoholic
                horses
                deserter
                incest
                beastiality
                southerner
                member of parliament
                drink driving
                rapist

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

You know how to bleed radiators?

Comment

Drugs
                    Prison
                    Bankrupt
                    Wife beating
                    Paedo
                    GBH
                    Southerner
                    National Front
                    Sex Change

it aint over yet

alcoholic
                    horses
                    deserter
                    incest
                    beastiality
                    southerner
                    member of parliament
                    drink driving
                    rapist

I note a common theme there.

I knew someone who got into deep cack when his wife to be saw his birth certificate and realised where he'd been born
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Moose, is this to do with the old saga you shared with us here a couple of years ago, remember A, B and C --- you were married to A, but in love with B, told B you are in love with her over MSN, but she is already married , so she freaks out and gives you the cold shoulder, then C turned up or something like that, then you had to divorce A etc??? I can’t remember all the details, but if your past to do with the above saga, then can’t see its relevant to your present relationship, and can’t see it would harm it if you tell/not tell.

Comment

Working...
                      X