• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

School Leavers not good enough for stacking shelves says head of Tesco

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I worked in KFC for a while just before leaving uni and was shocked at how thick many of the people were in there. They were at the standard most people I know passed at primary 7.

The management knew that and students were given the more dangerous jobs in the kitchen, some of the people would have put their hands in liquid plaster given half a chance.
    FTFY!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I did the last year of O-levels. In my second year of sixth form (i.e. when the first batch of GCSE students were starting A-levels), the teachers were all complaining that the new batch of students were so much further behind than we were. Especially in maths; the GCSE'ers hadn't even learned Calculus. I remember my maths teacher complaining that he was going to have to spend the first 6 months teaching them what they should have already known before he could even start on the A-level syllabus.

Of course then they made A-levels much easier to compensate.
      Hmm, but then I did Common Entrance at 13 and felt that it was at least the same standard as GCSE.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        FTFY!
        What does this mean? Does this mean I didnt get a proper education when I cant work out these acronyms? They should put these into GCSE English

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
          What does this mean? Does this mean I didnt get a proper education when I cant work out these acronyms? They should put these into GCSE English
          Including apostrophes?
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Fixed That For You
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Including apostrophes?
              Apostrophes are A-level mate!

Comment

Apostrophes are A-level mate!
                knot from nxt yr!
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

This would be the same Tesco that has used all kinds of schemes to reduce it's tax bill by about £1.7bn over the last decade?

Now, before anyone has a go, I definitely applaud Tesco for doing everything legal to plan its tax affairs (as it is obliged to do to safeguard shareholder value) and the 'decline' of educational standard is probably due more to government ineptitude. But I've got to wonder how many teachers etc. could have been paid for by the money it gave to its accountants - never mind the tax?

Comment

He should be glad that the idiots that work for him cant work out they are being bent over by the big corp.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
                      He should be glad that the idiots that work for him cant work out they are being bent over by the big corp.
                      whole UK population

Comment

Working...
                      X